Aspiring Expert
Casterina

BT Vision or FreeSat HD?

I have already got Freeview on my HDTV, would you recommend me to get BT Vision or FreeSat HD? Please be honest

Expert
masona2

Re: BT Vision or FreeSat HD?

Casterina wrote:

I have already got Freeview on my HDTV, would you recommend me to get BT Vision or FreeSat HD? Please be honest

Hi,

That is such a subjective question. It all depends on what you want.

So what do you want?

Do you want HD? If so, Vision is a no-no. Do you want first run shows? Again a no-no. Or do you want to watch normal Freeview TV at a time to suit you, not the schedules, with On Demand content thrown in? Thats a Vision yes!

So what do you actually want from your next service?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Aspiring Expert
Casterina

I watch Sports like Football and other sports, I don't tend to watch movies as I have loads of latest movie DVDs

Expert
masona2

Casterina wrote:

I watch Sports like Football and other sports, I don't tend to watch movies as I have loads of latest movie DVDs

Good! The films included in your Vision package are not brill. Sky Sports is very good value. The box is one of, if not the, most reliable PVR on the market.

The Vision package is £12.50 per mth. Sky Sports 1&2 £17.50 per mth. And if you've got kids, the included Kids content a flippinig Godsend!

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Aspiring Expert
Casterina

So BT Vision will be better than FreeSat HD if I watch Sports if I order Sky Sport 1 and 2 and get ESPN free? if so what channels do I get from BT Vision?

Expert
masona2

Casterina wrote:

So BT Vision will be better than FreeSat HD if I watch Sports if I order Sky Sport 1 and 2 and get ESPN free? if so what channels do I get from BT Vision?

You don't get extra 'Channels'. You get On Demand content. Like, comedy, drama, true life, sci-fi, docu's ect.

You simply select the category you feel like watching and then browse through the on demand library.

Simples!

It's not new (the content), but it's good.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Aspiring Expert
Casterina

Is there a list of Demand Content that is on?

Expert
masona2

Casterina wrote:

Is there a list of Demand Content that is on?

Unfortunately no. The available content changes all the time.

I've explained it as best as I can.

And with that, Goodbye! Hope you make the right choice that your happy with.

Cheers.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Aspiring Expert
Casterina

[ Edited ]

You think I would get a discount because I have used BT for 10 years and I phoned up today asking information about it but I didn't really understand the guy that was talking only knew abit, I am currently with BT with broadband and phone line, should I ask for a discount on BT Vision or join the package together like broadband and phone line and BT Vision for better cheaper costs?

Aspiring Expert
Eamdad

[ Edited ]

BT Vision is just like a free view box, you get free view channels. However the difference is that you connect your vision box to your BT Broadband which allows you to access on demand content and watch it with a click of a button. So say if you are a Air Crash Investigation fan, you would go to the search section find the nat geo channel then click on the episode you want. You can pause rewind and foward as well as record programs like sky+. If you have at least a 2mb connection then everything should stream smoothly. Oh an added bonus is that BT Vision now has a built in iplayer.

Freesat HD is a different platform, like Sky it works using a satalite dish thus giving you a wider choice of channels. If it is the channels your after then its Freesat HD, if it is all about the content then its BT Vision. They both are very different but same department, its like comparing lemon and lime.

I would also like to point out that BT is part of a group called YouView, do some research on that. Im sure like most of us you will be on the edge of your seat!
On your other point regarding discount, im sure if you say "i saw this deal here, what can you do better" then throw in "10 years and thats all you can do, im moving everything soon as my contracts up" will work :smileywink:

Ok that aside, my honest opinion? i would go for FreeSat simply because you have access to a wider range of channels and access to free HD channels. I dont pay for my BT vision as i saw it as a waste of money because most of the on demand content i watched was under BBC, channel 4 and channel 5 which is available for free on the net. I only use my box for the recording and iplayer feature which to be honest is issue ridlled. If i could get a freesat installed id jump on the offer but i cant because of signal issues (Trees)