Aspiring Contributor
JohnGray
Accepted Solution

BT vision connections

I have had to relocate my computer and now it is no longer practical to run an ethernet cable from my TV and so my BT vision is inactive.  Is ther any way to connect the BT Vision box to my Home Hub wirelessly?

John Gray

Guru
guilbo

Re: BT vision connections

Not that I know of, but you could invest in some Powerlines, or similar, if BT didn't supply them. These effectively turn your electricity main into an ethernet.

Expert
ttyrie

Re-contract your BT Vision and ask them for some new powerlines :smileywink:

Guru
stuartrogerson

Welcome John,

What you need are powerline adapters which were probably supplied with your original order. You plug one in where the Hub and connect it via a supplied ethernet cable to the home hub.

You then plug the other one in to a spare socket beside your TV and connect the box via and adapter via an ethernet cable and all works provided you aren't using extension leads.

That's the only way to get a BT Vision service working without a direct HUB to Box cable. So it's not wireless per se but it will allow your box to be active.
Kafka's World
1000 Classical Hits
Aspiring Contributor
JohnGray

Thanks everyone - yes, Powerline adaptors look like the way forward.  No, I did not get any with my original order - is this something BT will provide, or do I need to go shopping?

John Gray

Expert
ttyrie

BT will provide them if you ask for them...

Just say you were not provided with any when you ordered and if they could send you some.

OR

Recontract your Vision and ask for some Powerline's to be thrown in (you may even get a new black Vision+)...

Aspiring Contributor
David_the_Scott

I did not get powerline adapters when I got vision, as the sales person asked me where the vision box and hub where to be located.

I should of said that they where in different rooms as I did not get them, and if I move my TV into the other room i will need to buy them or try and get BT to send them.

let me know how you get on.

Guru
stuartrogerson

JohnGray wrote:

Thanks everyone - yes, Powerline adaptors look like the way forward.  No, I did not get any with my original order - is this something BT will provide, or do I need to go shopping?

John Gray

I think you should phone them up and simply ask for them and explain your situation that they weren't supplied with your original order and now you need them as the set up has changed. It really ought not to be a problem. If it is get back to me and I will suggest al alternative route.

Kafka's World
1000 Classical Hits
Expert
Rachael42

If you have a couple of spare wireless routers there is a way

depending on the routers but if they are capable of running in bridged mode then you can do the following

your home hub is connected as normal ie to phone line and wireless to other computers and optionally via one cable to a PC

the second Ethernet cable is connected to one of your spare wireless routers

this must be configured as follows

first dhcp must be switched off as ip address allocation will be handed by the home hub

second bridged mode should be enabled and the mac address of the second router entered as the bridge

ssid for wireless must be unique ie different from the home hub and any security you want (wpa)set up

the second spare router is configured the same ie no dhcp bridge mode enabled and the mac address of the first router entered as the bridge

an Ethernet cable is then connected from the second router to the bt vision box.

i can not be more specific on setup as all routers differ but i do know that as long as both spare routers can be bridged it will work

for example i have bridged a wireless connection between me and my neighbour allowing his netbook to boot and use a full linux system running on my data server and pxe boot

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Guru
stuartrogerson

whoosh over my head that went :smileyhappy:

Kafka's World
1000 Classical Hits