Aspiring Expert
davidb00

BTVision in the Future?

This BT announcement,here  , is indicative that the work to enable multicast,as described  here is almost complete and these channels hint at what is to come, which I suspect is to be a large number of new channels including access to cloud internet progs such as Flickr, Facebook,Twitter, Skype(what is that USB port for) etc.

Also to change the way $ky sport 1 & 2 are provided from dedicated Freeview channels(very expensive) to a network delivery system (no viewing cards)

The new Linux operating system is not only a lot cheaper(free)  than media room, it is also a lot more flexible, allowing in house modifications without consulting the the  supplier.

The inclusion of HD content on iplayer is possibly a test( it only uses 3.2Mb bandwidth, no problem with infinity, some on standard broadband may have problems ) for future HD freeview channels to be transmitted via the network and thus reducing the requirement for a new Freeview HD Vbox( another saving), also this will bring it in line with other mass channel providers.   

Aspiring Expert
Ewaawoowaa

Re: BTVision in the Future?

The channels and HD is all I want.  Why anyone would want to access facetube, or whatever it is called, through their TV is beyond me.

I wonder how long it will be before we have HD channels via ADSL?  When that happens, BT will really be a force to be reckoned with. 

Aspiring Expert
davidb00

I also am not interested in Facebook etc, but others are, I currently have the £4 a month option and I find watching the commercial channels without the adverts, suits my needs very well.

My point is that with the changes being made we will have a new set of choices namely watching a new set of channels in real time, limited internet access and lastly the existing 'on demand' programs we currently receive.

Any of the new channels that are in HD should be able to be watched if your ADSL speed is higher than that required to watch iplayer in HD which according to the BBC iplayer website here is 3.2 Mbps.

Aspiring Expert
Ewaawoowaa

I'm really looking forward to the changes.  I wonder what kind of picture quality you will get at 3.2Mb/s.  Aren't broadcast HD channels transmitted at about 10Mb/s and sometimes as high as 20?

Aspiring Expert
davidb00

You are correct, the normal transmission rate is 10 Mbps, and to reduce this to 3.2 Mbps obviously needs a tighter compression, and some compromises must be made, all of the current HD providers compress to a greater or lesser degree and it is the resultant picture that matters.

I have a Panasonic blu ray player that plays iplayer HD at presumably 3.2Mbps which I play on my 32" Panasonic TV at 720p and I am more than satisfied with the results.

Expert
masona2

Ewaawoowaa wrote:

I'm really looking forward to the changes.  I wonder what kind of picture quality you will get at 3.2Mb/s.  Aren't broadcast HD channels transmitted at about 10Mb/s and sometimes as high as 20?

Hm,

Who said these new BVT linear HD channels would be streamed at 3.2Mbps?

As far as I know, there have been no announcements from BT in regard to any of the new features that are to come.

But I am still looking forward to them.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Expert
Rachael42

masona2 wrote:

Ewaawoowaa wrote:

Hm,

Who said these new BVT linear HD channels would be streamed at 3.2Mbps?

As far as I know, there have been no announcements from BT in regard to any of the new features that are to come.

But I am still looking forward to them.

the only confirmation of the bitrate (3.2mbit) is from the bbc and this relates to the iplayer in hd 

as for the rest of the proposed linear hd streamed channels we will just have to wait and see. 

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Expert
masona2

[ Edited ]

Rachael42 wrote:

the only confirmation of the bitrate (3.2mbit) is from the bbc and this relates to the iplayer in hd 

as for the rest of the proposed linear hd streamed channels we will just have to wait and see. 

Ah, Rachael,

Heres a prediction for you...

The new, upcoming BTV streamed HD channels (which are expected to be launched around and before the end of the year), will be streamed at near television HD broadcast quality. And to ensure the quality of the HD picture, the technology involved will also be cutting edge too. Because it will be YouView technology.

And it will be streamed at... (deep breaths now...)

8Mbps.

But, hey-ho, what do I know? 

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Expert
Rachael42

masona it would be a shame not to use technology that has been in development for over 3 years and 8 mbit does seem a  reasonable compromise between quality and available bandwidth.

My personal choice for a bit rate would be VBR  or variable bit rate allowing more complex parts of the image to use more and thus improving quality (football would use less as how much do you need to show grass)

youview does seem to be the obvious choice

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
fredbarnesblueyonde

Surely HD has to be a major factor in TV.

Look at the opposition out there and I think I am correct in saying that all except BT have HD as an instantly available option. Many or most of us now have receivers which will instantly cope with HD pictures and in my view it is the way forward along side 3D which personally for me is not as important. I was stupid enough not to investigate HD on BT and I have paid the price with ending up with a no HD availability. This is an option which will be rectified whe contracts are renewed. I think it is almost unbelievable that BT do not offer HD availability. I complained by email and they set the Rottviler on to me - lesson learned. 

Back to the old Freeview box.

Fred.