Beginner
Gooner
Accepted Solution

Can I cancel BT VISION without charges

I recently purchased the BT Infinity 2 with unlimited weekend calls and broadband.

Whilst I was trying to get the Broadband sorted the sales person talked me into taking BT Vision as well, and the way she talked about "On Demand" made me think I could access any of the Freeview programmes at any time .... for example if I wanted to see Coronation St at 6.00 instead of waiting until 7.30 I could ... if you see what I mean.

Now I have read the booklet and checked out the web-site all it is a load of historical TV and here's the punchline - it appears I can't use On Demand even if I wanted to without paying extra fees (50p per show apparently).

Anyway the situation is this - My Broadband was setup TODAY by the engineer who was also supposed to set-up the BT Vision box as well. However the  VISION box hadn't arrived as he came early  - it actually arrived about 30 minutes before he was actually due.

Anyway - all I have done is open the box to read the material about set-up etc ... apart from that it is not touched.

WHen I see what I can get for my subscription - I already have either through SKY or via FREEVIEW on my TV. iPlayer and other Internet functions I can get via my PC... I therefore think I have been sold a pup and want to cancel BT Vision.

I don't mind (well I do actually) paying the postage to return the (unused) BT VISION equipment but I don't think I should be paying cancellation charges. To be honest I am not even sure whether she sold me a 12 month or 24 month BT VISION contract (I think it was 12).

I did say at the time that I wasn't really bothered about adding BT VISION but I was so concerned to get my BROADBAND order done as soon as possible I just let the saleswomen waffle me through it.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Dave
Guru
toekneem

Re: Can I cancel BT VISION without charges

Gooner wrote:

I recently purchased the BT Infinity 2 with unlimited weekend calls and broadband.

Whilst I was trying to get the Broadband sorted the sales person talked me into taking BT Vision as well, and the way she talked about "On Demand" made me think I could access any of the Freeview programmes at any time .... for example if I wanted to see Coronation St at 6.00 instead of waiting until 7.30 I could ... if you see what I mean.

Now I have read the booklet and checked out the web-site all it is a load of historical TV and here's the punchline - it appears I can't use On Demand even if I wanted to without paying extra fees (50p per show apparently).

Anyway the situation is this - My Broadband was setup TODAY by the engineer who was also supposed to set-up the BT Vision box as well. However the  VISION box hadn't arrived as he came early  - it actually arrived about 30 minutes before he was actually due.

Anyway - all I have done is open the box to read the material about set-up etc ... apart from that it is not touched.

WHen I see what I can get for my subscription - I already have either through SKY or via FREEVIEW on my TV. iPlayer and other Internet functions I can get via my PC... I therefore think I have been sold a pup and want to cancel BT Vision.

I don't mind (well I do actually) paying the postage to return the (unused) BT VISION equipment but I don't think I should be paying cancellation charges. To be honest I am not even sure whether she sold me a 12 month or 24 month BT VISION contract (I think it was 12).

I did say at the time that I wasn't really bothered about adding BT VISION but I was so concerned to get my BROADBAND order done as soon as possible I just let the saleswomen waffle me through it.

Can anyone help?

Hi Gooner, You cannot be serious, you were thinking that you could maybe watch a program BEFORE it's normal airing time.

I do not use Vision myself, but I dont believe you were sold a pup. BT Vision does what it says on the box.

It supplies you with Freeview and On Demand programs for a charge

Anyway, I imagine that as the Vision side has not been activated you should be able to cancel that side of it. I will say that that is my view only, (as a customer).  I have heard from another person that they have returned Vision unused after there broadband was activated. But

Why not give them a call and speak to them and explain the situation. If you get nowhere then post back on the forum and maybe we can suggest another way to try and sort it out

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Expert
Rachael42

Your first port of call should be to call back and explain the situation to the sales team and see if they can help you.

It would be  best to do this as soon as possible as there are time limitations to consider

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Beginner
Gooner

Thanks Rachael - that's what I will do

Regards

Dave
Contributor
pavmas

I thought the same and explained that to my wife as thats the way it was discribed to me, I thought she would be able to watch nEmmerdale at 2pm when everyone else had to wait till 7pm

Beginner
Gooner

[ Edited ]

I thought the same and explained that to my wife as thats the way it was discribed to me, I thought she would be able to watch nEmmerdale at 2pm when everyone else had to wait till 7pm

I am glad you said that  - I was feeling a bit of a numpty after a previous response.

To conclude - I phoned BT and explained the position.... They talked me into keeping it (it's a 1 month contract at £4 a month so £48)  - said it was very easy to install.... yea right .... however I had two real issues which have spoiled it for me.

1. I can't install it with the primary TV set because I have SKY box attached to the aerial which means I cannot attach the VISION box to it.
  2. However it gets worse. My BROADBAND is linked in my office. The Power switches are on a different route in there than the main household, so when I tried to attach it to the TV in the conservatory (2nd TV if you like). I get NO SIGNAL although the DATA light was on (but not flashing on the power switch). Not sure why as all go through the same mains box. (You can tell I am no electrician!!!).

Anyway ended up attaching it to my TV in the office, which is OK for me (except it is a small 19") but means the wife can't use it and I see you get 5 free films a month - she is much more into films than me so it's a shame.

Regards

Dave
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

You mean a 12 month contract at £4 a month = £48. I thought at that price, you had to pay upfront for the vison box. It used to be £90.

T&Cs

To get BT Vision you'll need BT Total Broadband or BT Infinity with a 12 month minimum term, a fast-enough line, a BT Home Hub (included if you haven't already been given one) and a Vision+ box. Freeview requires a suitable rooftop aerial and coverage (www.bt.com/freeview). You'll need to pay a £40 activation fee and on-demand charges are payable. Terms apply. Vision+ box: £90 for new or eligible existing broadband or BT Infinity customers if you (re)contract to BT Total Broadband or BT Infinity for a minimum of 12 months, or £0 if you also take a subscription for 12 months for £12.50 a month, provided you don't cease your BT Vision service within 12 months; otherwise charges of up to £199 apply. Conditions apply. See bt.com/tv for details.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Expert
Rachael42

You don't have to use the powerline/homeplug devices if you wanted to you could run a long Ethernet cable from the hub to the room you wish to use the vbox in.

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Beginner
Gooner

Yes 12 month contract = £48. No charge for the box that I was told of. Wonder if I will find out in 12 months?????

Actually it may be because I believe the boxes they are giving out right now are end of line.... I think they are due for an upgrade..... I noticed a few channels that I could not access as it said I needed an HD Freeview box .. So I assume that is the way BT will be going with their VISION boxes in the near future - so the current boxes will become redundant.

This is only my opinion of course.

Regards

Dave
Beginner
Gooner

[ Edited ]

You don't have to use the powerline/homeplug devices if you wanted to you could run a long Ethernet cable from the hub to the room you wish to use the vbox in.

Yes thanks - I did think of that  - but firstly I don't have one long enough and secondly - it would have to trail right across the kitchen and then across the living room due to the layout of the house ... wifey would not be amused.

I have also thought of doing some wall drilling as I could then get a straight line through from the office (via the hallway) to the main set ... but then the SKY aerial connection becomes the issue. No way to drill through to conservatory because of the relative room positions.

Regards

Dave