Cutandpaste
Accepted Solution

Catch-up TV

[ Edited ]

Well - finally got my Vision box up and running. Went to look at what was available on Catch-up, and was dismayed to find that ITV Player is NOT supported in its entirety, so I could not watch the last episode of Lewis that I had missed, for example.

4OD is not there properly either - in fact, apart from the BBC stuff, nothing is like it is on PC. So it looks like I'll STILL have to hook up the laptop to the telly after all! Good job I've got unlimited broadband, then (until they start to "choke" me for using too much - don't scoff, this does happen.)

If BBCi player is there pretty much as it appears on a PC, why not ITV and C4's catch-up service?

Very disappointed in this aspect of the box.

Guru
stuartrogerson

Re: Catch-up TV

What is displayed on these other catch up services is at the behest of the content providers and not BT

Kafka's World
1000 Classical Hits
Guru
guilbo

Catch up only covers the last week. There are also licensing issue with content that isn't home-grown.

BT only shape torrent services. They used to have a cut off at which point they limit use, but that bit the dust about a year ago.

Contributor
GordonC

I had the same problem when i switched from a silver box to the new black box at the weekend. The content in ITV player was different on the new box to what was available 10 minutes earlier on the silver box. Items that were definitely missing were some episodes of Emmerdale. Is it possible that there are different versions of ITV player across the 2 boxes/software versions?

We too had to use the laptop to view missing content.

Expert
walkerx

there are a lot of issues with itv-player and compatibility with different boxes - when checking itv-player in regards to my samsung freesat box it was not supported so returned it - i found out that it is down to itv whether or not they release or update itv-player to work on different boxes.

Expert
masona2

Cutandpaste wrote:

Well - finally got my Vision box up and running. Went to look at what was available on Catch-up, and was dismayed to find that ITV Player is NOT supported in its entirety, so I could not watch the last episode of Lewis that I had missed, for example.

4OD is not there properly either - in fact, apart from the BBC stuff, nothing is like it is on PC. So it looks like I'll STILL have to hook up the laptop to the telly after all! Good job I've got unlimited broadband, then (until they start to "choke" me for using too much - don't scoff, this does happen.)

If BBCi player is there pretty much as it appears on a PC, why not ITV and C4's catch-up service?

Very disappointed in this aspect of the box.

None of the various on demand boxes hold the full PC service from all the channels, so you'll find it's the same with an XBOX, a WII or a Playstation. So Vision is not alone with this 'problem'.

It's all to do with licensing issues. And money. Also, the actual content which is on each on demand service on each box is actually down to the content provider and not the host/platform.

Hope that answers your question. 

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Expert
masona2

GordonC wrote:

I had the same problem when i switched from a silver box to the new black box at the weekend. The content in ITV player was different on the new box to what was available 10 minutes earlier on the silver box. Items that were definitely missing were some episodes of Emmerdale. Is it possible that there are different versions of ITV player across the 2 boxes/software versions?

We too had to use the laptop to view missing content.

Interesting question...

Yes, there are two versions of each catch-up service. I'm still on the old platform, which runs Windows. The new platform runs Linux. But I was not aware the content offered was different from one platform to another. So thanks for posting the above.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Cutandpaste

Yes, all these replies explain things - I was just unaware that what you see on a PC isn't the same as what you get on the Vtsion or other such boxes. Silly me! Still a bit miffed about it, though, but I realise it isn't BT's fault.

Thanks

Contributor
GordonC

masona2 wrote:

Interesting question...

Yes, there are two versions of each catch-up service. I'm still on the old platform, which runs Windows. The new platform runs Linux. But I was not aware the content offered was different from one platform to another. So thanks for posting the above.

Thanks for answering this. I thought the ITV Player would be the same across all BT Vision but obviously not.

chris123beth

Have read all the replys which are very imformative. However like several others I did not 'pick up' on the fact that the versions of I Player BT supplies were not equivilant to the internet ones. Perhaps this should be made more obvious on their web site and advertisements? If only! I shall contact them on this matter, as I believe others should?