Jimma

Download recordings from Vision Box to a PC

I have seen that there are several USB ports on the BT Vision box and was wondering if it was possible to connect a laptop or PC so that I can download the recordings.

Is this possible and if so how would I go about doing so? Is it a case of just pluging it in?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Aspiring Expert
mcpaddy

Re: Download recordings from Vision Box to a PC

as far as i'm aware the recordings cannot be transferred off the vision box to anywhere due to drm built into the firmware 

the usb is used for servicing the box and cannot be used outside of bt engineering department

Expert
minusdot

If you connect a video recorder via scart (or the RF out for the old silver vboxes only) you can archive recorded freeview programmes. You cannot record the On Demand video as that is encrypted.

Distinguished Guru
DS

Has anybody ever tried swapping the scart plugs over on the back of the vbox so the TV output goes to a recordable device and the aux scart goes to the TV?

This is all I did years ago and it used to work on satellite receivers and I was able to record encrypted content using a VCR.

I'd try it myself but don't use the OD bit anymore.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Contributor
cooperman

"Has anybody ever tried swapping the scart plugs over on the back of the vbox so the TV output goes to a recordable device and the aux scart goes to the TV?

This is all I did years ago and it used to work on satellite receivers and I was able to record encrypted content using a VCR."

I doubt it would overcome encryption but depending on the specifications of the unit it may well give a better quality recording. Some PVR's, VCR's etc allow an RGB output via the TV scart but not the VCR scart, if your recorder has RGB enabled inputs this would probably give a better quality recording. I don't have a Vision Box so not sure if this is applicable to it but it definitely works on a Sky plus box for example.

Beginner
dlevick

in short no you couldnt watch recorded video any other way, I have tryed taking the hard drive out of the VBox but the way the file records and is encripted wont allow it.
Beginner
apache1963

Hi folks.... I was reading your replies and thought I could be of help.   I have been wanting to tx Vision material to my Laptop for awhile.  I had a recording of the show 'Sings the Beatles' and didn't like all the groups. I knew the Vision box ouputed the analogue signal via the RF socket but all I had was a Digital receiver dongle for Digital TV for my laptop. I couldn't buy an analogue one anymore as we have all gone Digital.  I have a DVD recorder wired into my setup and I scanned all channels both analogue and Digital to set the recorder up and lo and behold it found the RF output from the Vision box.  I promptly started recording the recorded 'Sings the Beatles' editing out the crud if you like as I went.  You can only tx in real time.... Once I finished, I finalised the disc and played it on my laptop.... Perfect..... I was curious though what about DRM on some other material so I went back and did the same with a recording of Star Trek from Channel One (Virgiin)... No probs....  I even went to On Demand and recorded an episode of the IT Crowd.... No Probs... (Watch the one about 'Countdown' and Moss it's side splitting.....) Again Perfect... I haven't yet tried to record a film from either freeview or On Demand but will be doing so soon. :smileyhappy:

Expert
minusdot

apache1963 wrote:

Hi folks.... I was reading your replies and thought I could be of help.   I have been wanting to tx Vision material to my Laptop for awhile.  I had a recording of the show 'Sings the Beatles' and didn't like all the groups. I knew the Vision box ouputed the analogue signal via the RF socket but all I had was a Digital receiver dongle for Digital TV for my laptop. I couldn't buy an analogue one anymore as we have all gone Digital.  I have a DVD recorder wired into my setup and I scanned all channels both analogue and Digital to set the recorder up and lo and behold it found the RF output from the Vision box.  I promptly started recording the recorded 'Sings the Beatles' editing out the crud if you like as I went.  You can only tx in real time.... Once I finished, I finalised the disc and played it on my laptop.... Perfect..... I was curious though what about DRM on some other material so I went back and did the same with a recording of Star Trek from Channel One (Virgiin)... No probs....  I even went to On Demand and recorded an episode of the IT Crowd.... No Probs... (Watch the one about 'Countdown' and Moss it's side splitting.....) Again Perfect... I haven't yet tried to record a film from either freeview or On Demand but will be doing so soon. :smileyhappy:

As has been stated in earlier posts, you can capture recorded programmes (or live freeview) from SCART or RF out (for silver vboxes) but you will not be able to capture the On Demand material as it's encrypted.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

A lot depends on the type of DVD recorder you use. Some do not respond to the Macrovision protection which is superimposed on the analogue output of the BT Vision box, if it comes via the aerial input.

If you are using the RF output from the BT Vision, the Macrovision protection is unlikely to be very effective, as it was there primarily to stop VHS video recorders, by upsetting the tape speed synchronisation.

With modern DVD recorders,this is not a problem, however if you had tried to record from the SCART output of the BT Vision box, you may have got a message telling you that it could not record the signal, as it was protected.

They would not expect people to use the RF output, because of the inferior quality.
The new vision boxes have no RF output.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
Dryopithecus

[ Edited ]

If a signal can be passed to, and decoded by, a TV, then it is logically possible to record it. If your DVD (or other) recorder won't do it, another recorder, or type of recorder, may.

Just passing the signal through any device that has both an input and an output before sending it to your recorder may be worth trying, e.g. feeding the output of the vision box into the input one recorder, then taking the output from that and feeding it into the input of the one you want to record on. It may even be worth trying a scart multiple distribution box.

If all else fails, you may need an electronic interface to filter out the "interference" and pass just the filtered signal to your DVD. You may need to be (or enrol) an electronic engineer to make such an interface, however.

Dry.