Beginner
Breizhoveva

Ethernet cable and bt vision box

I am told to link my bt vision box with an ethernet cable to the hub but they are both in different rooms and quite far apart. Is there a way round it ?

Thanks

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

Re: Ethernet cable and bt vision box

You can try powerline adaptors.  Several people on this forum have said that it works for them.  However, the speed you get through powerline adaptors is highly dependent on your house wiring, and there's no guarantee that it will work.

If you already have the adaptors, it's worth trying it.  Otherwise, you're going to have to run a cable.  Either run a long cable from the Home Hub to the BT Vision box, or a long cable from the Openreach modem to the Home Hub, whichever is best for you.

Beginner
Breizhoveva

Thanks and how do you set up powerline adaptors ?

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Basically you use short ethernet cables to connect one adapter to the router and another to the BTTV box, and plug each of them into a nearby power socket; precise instructions come with the adapters. Your home electrical circuit then carries data between the router and box, saving the need for an ethernet cable between rooms.

It seems to work for most people but you'll get no support from BT if not. You could get a set from Amazon and return them if they don't do it for you.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Aspiring Expert
Marketman

Be advised though that Powerline adapters do not always work, basically they need to be on the same ring main, and even then they may not work. I tried them with circuits on different fuse boards and they would not work.

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

Plug one adaptor into a wall socket near the Home Hub.  Most versions have a through socket, so you can even plug the Home Hub into the powerline adaptor if you're short of sockets.  Connect the adaptor to the Home Hub with a short ethernet cable.

Plug the other adaptor into a wall socket near the BT Vision box.  Connect it to the Vision box by another short ethernet cable.

Turn it all on and check the status lights on the adaptors to see if they have connected OK.

It's best to plug the adaptors into the wall, rather than an extension cable.  Extension cables with surge filters should definitely be avoided.

For best performance, the two adaptors should be on the same ring main.  They may still work on different rings, but be slower.  If you live in a huge mansion with three-phase mains, they must both be on the same phase.

Aspiring Contributor
OldNo1

Get 500mbps ones. Works for me. i get messages from time to time telling me I should be using a cable, which is annoying, but I'd rather that than run a long cable.