Beginner
Simon67

FILM 4

A couple of days ago I went to watch Film 4 and this message was displayed at the top of the screen over the picture.

'Film 4 is moving. If you are still seeing Film 4 on channel 15 please retune your vission box'.

I followed the instructions and retuned. Film 4 did not appear in a new location and on channel 15 vision box TV guide it reads 'No information currently available'. I tried the channel anyway and Film 4 is still on channel 15. The problem is you can no longer see whats airing/any information via the TV guide, which means I'm unable to record anything on this channel. I'm not sure if anything else has changed and have tried retuning several times but the problem is still there?

Guru
guilbo

Re: FILM 4

Film4 is swapping its transmission frequency, but its channel number will remain the same. Its place on the mux it came from is being taken by Film4+1 on channel 45.

Are you using the old or new look software?

Beginner
Simon67

I have no idea, but if I had to guess it would be old. Move house 10 months ago and had infinity installed but I'm using the vision box from the old house which is several years old.

Beginner
Simon67

Also, there is no information availablefor film 4 +1  if that helps

Expert
zulu17

Do you have a channel 791 and if so what is in your guide and is it broadcasting Film 4.

(film 4+1 will start on/around 27 August)

Guru
guilbo

Film4+1 doesn't start transmitting for a few weeks yet. If you're on the old software (main menu runs across the top) then the EPG is coming from BT. It can often take them a while to cope with channel changes. On the other hand it may come in overnight when the EPG is next sqirted at you over the network. You could also find that a reboot might cause it to grab a new copy of the guide, bit this may still not have the update in it.

Beginner
Simon67

Yes I do and Film 4 is broadcasting. will this change at some point or do I have to move the channel

Expert
zulu17

[ Edited ]

some reading/explanation at

http://www.a516digital.com/2013/08/freeview-channel-update-01082013.html

seems the EPG is simply behind your transmitter in effecting changes as Guibo has nentioned

Contributor
charlies

I have run into this too.

Just to re-state what zulu17 & other experts are saying so it is easier for left-brained people like me to follow:

- Film4 normally is accessed via what I think of as 'preset channel # 15' (due to having used too much ancient gear).

In my location (near Worcester), both the TV (and old Philips/Pace BT Vision box, one of the 1st) pick up this programme from Transmitter channel # 25 (which is at a centre frequency of 506MHz), as well as 9 other free TV programmes that are also multiplexed onto the same transmitter channel.

- You 'find' channel 791 by scrolling all the way down in the programme guide, past all the adult stations that you never watch & into the place where the radio channels are located.

In my case, channel 791 IS there, on Transmitter channel # 27 at 522MHz, along with 15 free TV programmes, and interestingly, 2 Pay TV channels called BT Sport 1 & 2...

SO... the questions now are:

1. as per other posts here, BT are sending a 'special' programme guide to the BT V box, that is updated less frequently than the 'over the air' version that your TV picks up: since the 'over the air' version still has the programme info for Film4 on preset#15, why cannot BT make this still available ??

2. if this is REALLY impossible,  how can us poor users with the old slow box and remote with 'not always willing' buttons re-arrange the mapping of preset channel# to actual transmitter channel# and multiplex id so that you can see what is on Film4 (when looking at the BT Vision programme guide to set up a number of recordings for exampe) early on in the channel list ie just after 4+1 & More 4 ? ...otherwise you need to grind through the list and remember what other programmes you are wanting to record when...

Is there an easy way to move 'just 1 channel' on the BT V box so programme preset#15 is showing the 522MHz version of Film4 along with it's programme info ?? OR does changing the 'preset mapping' have no impact on the order in which programmes are shown in the BT V EPG ??

I see 'favourites', but do not use them...

TIA..