Beginner
PatriciaHughes
Accepted Solution

Freesat

[ Edited ]

I want to run Freesat as well as BT Vision on my TV.  The TV only has one scart socket.  I have a satellite dish and regular aerial.  What should I connect to where?  Satellite aerial into Freesat box, Freesat box to BT Vision box by a scart.  BT Vision box to TV by a scart, and regular aerial to BT Vision box (and then from BT Vision box to TV).  And BT vision box to 'Home Hub' as well?  Will the BT box and the Freesat box be competing to use the EXT channel on the TV?

Any advice most appreciated!

Expert
masona2

Re: Freesat

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You need to connect both boxes independently to your TV (ie you will need two input connectors on your TV to do this). The two boxes are completely separate from one another.

Does your TV have a HDMI or any other input?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Beginner
PatriciaHughes

[ Edited ]

Only one scart socket on TV..  Should I buy a scart multi connector thingy?  What is HDMI?  Thanks.

Expert
masona2

Yes,

Buy a scart multi switcher. Which plugs into the TV. Then the two scart leads from the two boxes into that.

Hope that helps.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Expert
notoriousdbp

PatriciaHughes wrote:

I want to run Freesat as well as BT Vision on my TV.  The TV only has one scart socket.  I have a satellite dish and regular aerial.  What should I connect to where?  Satellite aerial into Freesat box, Freesat box to BT Vision box by a scart.  BT Vision box to TV by a scart, and regular aerial to BT Vision box (and then from BT Vision box to TV).  And BT vision box to 'Home Hub' as well?  Will the BT box and the Freesat box be competing to use the EXT channel on the TV?

Any advice most appreciated!

I think if you're using SCART you should be fine to 'daisychain' the boxes into the one socket on the TV.  If your Freesat box has 2 scart outputs, check if one is labelled for the TV and one for a VCR.  If so, use the one labelled for TV.

I would go:

Freesat Box > BT Vision box > TV

Sat cable into Freesat box

Freeview aerial into Vision Box

RF Out from Vision Box to aerial socket of TV

Splitters I've seen tend to be a pain in the backside to work with and I much prefer the daisychain route which you can do with SCART and not with HDMI

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
Beginner
PatriciaHughes

Success with BT Vision box connected to TV with HDMI, and Freesat to TV with scart (plus video player and DVD player 'daisy chaining').  Thank you all for prompt and helpful replies.

Guru
guilbo

If you have an HD Freesat box you would be better connecting it via HDMI and the Vbox via SCART. If not, stick to the way you are.

Beginner
PatriciaHughes

Thanks, will do - ifand when we get one (TV has 3+ HDMI sockets).

Patricia