Contributor
chrisp18

Freeview Signal Poor Quality or Too Low Level (Again)

I'm getting nreally fed up with constantly getting the message that the Freeview  Signal Poor Quality or Too Low since digital changeover on the Sudbury (Suffolk) transmitter.

I complained about this via the contact message for techincal assistance and got an automated reply on 16th August Reference Number 110816-007249  but since absolute silence. 

I know from various forums etc. that lots of people are having the same problem but that doesn't help me. Before anyone suggests checking the aerial etc. the built in Freeview in my Samsung TV works just fine so it's not an aerial issue.

Quite frankly my wife is so fed up that we keep missing recordings that she is demanding I we cancel  BT Vision saying we are paying money for a service we aren't getting. 

This evening we were trying to record Burn Notice on 5* and lo and behold up came the message. Also got it on another channel as nI scrolled through but can't remember which one.

In the past we have also had it happen on both  BBC & ITV main channels. 

My BT Vision box has been restarted at least twice since changeover so it's not that.

Can someone, preferably  from BT Vision, explain whats happening and give me a solution.

Ideally it would be nice if someone from BT Vision were to contact me direct, you know which number BT Vision is connected to and I think I left my mobile number on my original complaint, so that I can discuss this in detail because if this is going to keep happening then I might as well do what my wife wants and revert back to my Humax PVR and record straight from the inbuilt Freeview tuner.

I look forward to hearing from someone!!!! 

Guru
AllanQuatermain

Re: Freeview Signal Poor Quality or Too Low Level (Again)

Well I'm not from BT Vision, just a fellow customer :smileysad:

But I can tell you this. I started a thread BTV Gremlins on this board recently, with exactly the same scenario you describe.  If you take a look, Kerry posted today about a fix that should solve this.

I suspect the fault is somewhere in between: Digi switch; BBC i player; messages facility.

I too had a domestic revolt from wife + daughter, baying for blood, and wanting BTV cancelled. After giving them both a good slapping calming things down, the cavalry are on their way.:smileywink:

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Expert
masona2

AllanQuatermain wrote:

Well I'm not from BT Vision, just a fellow customer :smileysad:

But I can tell you this. I started a thread BTV Gremlins on this board recently, with exactly the same scenario you describe.  If you take a look, Kerry posted today about a fix that should solve this.

I suspect the fault is somewhere in between: Digi switch; BBC i player; messages facility.

I too had a domestic revolt from wife + daughter, baying for blood, and wanting BTV cancelled. After giving them both a good slapping calming things down, the cavalry are on their way.:smileywink:

Me too. As above. 

But in my area, Manchester, we've been on digital TV for ages, with no problems until now.

Deffo recommend reading the Gremlins thread. 

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Expert
masona2

Oh, also - check your BTV signal strength and quality.

Press BT Vision> Setings> TV Setings> DTT Signal Strength> Continue.

And with the channels your having problems with, post the signal strength and quality % on here.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Contributor
chrisp18

Thanks for the replies.

Followed what Kerry had said in her earlier posting but that made no difference.

Hopefully the fix she is talking about will do the trick, just hope it's not too long in coming about.

What seems surprising, even in Kerrys latest post, is that BT Vision haven't offered any explanation as to what the problem is.

If the fix doesn't work then I think BT Vision will be a thing of the past for me. Might have to wait for Youview, if that ever happens.

I will monitor the signal strength on the channels I've had problems with and post back results.

Distinguished Guru
DS

This may have nothing to do with the Vision Box:smileysurprised:

The aerial, condition (and the quality) of the coax, weather conditions and the transmitter strength all come in to play when dealing with freeview.

I too had a loss of channels after the DSO. I've updated my aerial and coax (RG6) - have a read as since updating it's been perfect - http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/RG6-or-PF100/m-p/265615#M20679

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Aspiring Expert
jcampy

Hmm you view ive been wondering if it will ever happen you never hear a lot about t do you only ever a few bits on the tinterweb
Contributor
chrisp18

Did a quick check last night and both BBC 1 & 1 plus ITV 1 showed a signal strenth of 97% and quality 100%

*5 showed signal strength 57% and quality 100% 

Contributor
chrisp18

Don't know if this is significant but got the dreaded message last night when I went to watch BBC1. Switched to check the signal strength and BBC 1 immediatley started working OK again in the small window and the test showed acceptable figures.

Switched back to normal viewing and everything OK. 

Distinguished Guru
DS

DS wrote:

This may have nothing to do with the Vision Box:smileysurprised:

The aerial, condition (and the quality) of the coax, weather conditions and the transmitter strength all come in to play when dealing with freeview.

I too had a loss of channels after the DSO. I've updated my aerial and coax (RG6) - have a read as since updating it's been perfect - http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/RG6-or-PF100/m-p/265615#M20679

Ok, the above may not apply!

Last night our silver box lost BBC1 only, black box and all other TV's were fine.

Upon investigation BBC1 had 0% and 0% and so did the other channels I checked, though they were all FULLY watchable. This leads me to believe there's something wrong with the box/firmware.

3 reboots and BBC1 was back - NO rescan needed.....:smileysurprised:

-+-No longer a forum member-+-