Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

I'm new to BT Vision, how do I see the Freeview HD Channels?

Hi there,

I've had BT Vision for a week or so now and I was under the impression that part of the Vision service was the ability to view the HD channels such as ITV1 HD etc, I was assured that they would be available on Vision by the guy I dealt with when I signed up for my current deal. Needless to say I have been using the service for this past week and I can't seem to find the HD channels anywhere. I've run a scan to update our channels, our Vision card is working ok etc but I can't find the HD channels at all. Am I being dim? Should I see the channel listed in my tv guide? How do the HD channels work?? I've never had access to them before and so I don't know exactly how they work. Any help would be brilliant. Thanks very much

Tonyv

Expert

Re: I'm new to BT Vision, how do I see the Freeview HD Channels?

No HD channels on Vision just on demand films in HD.

BT don't train their telephone staff properly.
Recognised Expert

Tonyv82 wrote:

Hi there,

I've had BT Vision for a week or so now and I was under the impression that part of the Vision service was the ability to view the HD channels such as ITV1 HD etc, I was assured that they would be available on Vision by the guy I dealt with when I signed up for my current deal. Needless to say I have been using the service for this past week and I can't seem to find the HD channels anywhere. I've run a scan to update our channels, our Vision card is working ok etc but I can't find the HD channels at all. Am I being dim? Should I see the channel listed in my tv guide? How do the HD channels work?? I've never had access to them before and so I don't know exactly how they work. Any help would be brilliant. Thanks very much

Tonyv

The current BT Vision Box lacks the required DVB-T2 hardware needed for Freeview HD viewing. Smiley Sad

If this incentive was used to entice you to contract to BT Vision the product has been mis-sold. Smiley Mad

Act quickly if you wish to remedy this situation!

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
Aspiring Contributor

That's absolutely typical... It wasn't something that made me choose BT over any other service because there's no way I'm going to buy a new tv with HD Freeview built in or a new PVR, and I can't have Virgin in my block of flats anyway. Its just that I asked about the channels and was assured they would be available to me.

what's also very typical is that when I rang BT to ask why I couldn't see them, if what I was doing was wrong and should I EXPECT to see them, the wonderfully unhelpful indian or dubai helpdesk or wherever the **bleep** its based told me that if I run a scan of the channels they should appear and that they should just be extra channels on my channel list!!

It irritates me to have to deal with these useless support desks because I asked them a few SIMPLE questions such as "am I entitled to the HD Freeview channels with the service I'm paying for?" "should I see the channels in my guide AUTOMATICALLY or do I have to do something to activate them" And "How do the Freeview HD Channels work on BT Vision?" and "Which channel number would ITV1 HD (For example) be on??" and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about! Needless to say they were at a loss and couldn't answer any of those questions, they just kept telling me that I should do a scan of the channels and they would appear. REALLY helpful.

Anyway thankfully I wasn't hinging my decision to go with BT Vision on that fact at all it was just nice to think that I would be able to receive them.

thanks to those who replied, at least now I know that its not available yet and I can stop worrying that either A: its not working correctly or B: I've either done something wrong or not done something I should have.

Will they ever be available and if so will I have to pay to change my box??

thanks again

Tonyv

Recognised Expert

Tonyv82 wrote:

Will they ever be available and if so will I have to pay to change my box??

I believe the current thinking is that BT will at some point give existing customers new YouView boxes which will do Freeview HD. But the published, and undenied, rumours are that we won't be seeing YouView until 2012. And I've heard the world's going to end then too, so they might just be hoping to get out of it altogether! ;-)

Expert

minusdot wrote:

I believe the current thinking is that BT will at some point give existing customers new YouView boxes which will do Freeview HD. But the published, and undenied, rumours are that we won't be seeing YouView until 2012. And I've heard the world's going to end then too, so they might just be hoping to get out of it altogether! ;-)

Ha ha ha!

Thats funny.

But if it's anything like the film reviews, that'll be c#ap too.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Expert

minusdot wrote:

HeeHee... yep one wonders what will come first, end of the world or HD channels, but seriously, it would be nice for some official word from BT on when/if HD freeview will be available.

Expert

Channel 4 HD is to launch on Freesat in April, which is good as we won't receive that in Wales on Freeview.

It's a pain in the @rse though as I can't record Freesat.