Aspiring Contributor
Dollydebbie

Interference / poor signal quality = bad picture

We've had BT vision for a couple of months, a few weeks in we started experiencing bad picture quality and noticed that the signal quality jumps around (on most channels but not the BBC ones).  Could this be caused by the Home Hub which is now situated next to the TV.  We had freeview before and had a different broadband supplier and didn't have any problems at all (the router was in a different room).

Does anyone have any suggestions to what we can try to reduce interference and therefore signal quality?

thanks in advance for any help...

Debbie

Expert
Guyincognito76

Re: Interference / poor signal quality = bad picture

Poor reception would suggest it's a problem with either your aerial or cables.

Have you got a Freeview telly, is the signal ok with that?

I'm not aware of any issues with the hub interfering with TV reception, although it does interfer with Freesat if it's next to the TV (I couldn't get NME TV)
Expert
Guyincognito76

Oh, also, has your region 'gone digital'? Are you in the course of 'switching over'?

If so, and even if you aren't but haven't done so in a while, to a rescan for channels on the Vision box.
Aspiring Contributor
Dollydebbie

Thanks for your response. We have a communal aerial and had the engineers out 3 times to check it, but each time the reception has been perfect (the problem occurs erratically and there is no obvious pattern) so they say there is no problem with it.

The signal quality on the telly is worse than on bt vision (the BIT error reading goes up to 8-10 when the reception is bad). The problem is only with channels on 481 MHz

We don't switchover until April next year... but will do a re-scan on the BT vision box and see if that helps.

Really appreciate your help.

Debbie
Guru
guilbo

[ Edited ]

The hub and the phone wiring it's connected to should be kept away from things like TVs, or anything else which generates electrical noise, for the sake of broadband. The hub is also a transmitter so if it's close to unshielded aerial wiring it could conceivably muck things up.

Are you using the wireless feature of the hub? If not you could turn it off and see if that makes a difference. You need to login to the hub and change the wireless settings to do that. If you are you may want to invest in some shielded aerial cabling or moving the hub as far away from AV wiring as you domestic geography will allow.

It is also possible that there are engineering works which are affecting a single multiplex, check that at ukfreetv.

Then again there's trees. In weak signal areas the trees coming into leaf can wreck things if your aerial is below the level of surrounding trees. This is something you would just be beginning to notice after the winter.

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

The weather can affect the signal.  Windy weather can shake the aerial around.  Warm dry weather can increase the interference from distant transmitters on the same frequency.

Aspiring Contributor
Dollydebbie

It seems to be ok today (so far!), I think the next thing to do is replace the aerial cabling and see if that reduces the interference... I've been keeping a log of when it is bad and so far it appears to be at it's worse on Saturday and then watchable again on Sunday...
Expert
Guyincognito76

It's unlikely in the age of the Internet; but you don't have a neighbour with a large CB radio aerial, do you?

I had to move my aerial once when someone erected one near me; it affected our reception everytime he used it.
Contributor
boybeckham

Have exactly the same problem in the Anglia Reggion. We switched to Full Digital between march 30th and April 7th and if anything it's worse than before. I can't even watch Dave and other channels on 481 etc now as it's that bad :smileysad:

Aspiring Contributor
Friedl

I've got a poor picture which flashes continually on BT Vision this morning. The last update was Friday when I've received iPlayer. Everything was fine until now. Freeview is ok on my TV. It's annoying! :-(