BK
Beginner
BK
Accepted Solution

Lost freeview channels we used to received, available through TV freeview and standalone freeview.

Hi there,

Thought we might have lost channels due to the weather and expected them to reappear when doing further scans once the weather was back to normal. Several months down the line we're still without the channels we had before (only get a maximum of 18 TV channels when scanning compared to 50+ on TV built in freeview and a standalone freeview box). Signal strength on some channels seems to fluctuate frequently up and down between fairly strong (60%+) to 0. Not sure if it is something wrong with the box or something has changed in broadcast or aerial(although checking reception through two other freeview receivers seems to have ruled that out).

We do like the On demand/IPTV features of BT Vision but being able to rent films via other services means that feature isn't something alone that we are likely to keep the BT Vision service for. If we can't also receive the majority of freeview channels(we do understand that we can't get all of them with less than perfect reception in our area) and record freeview we might as well invest in a Freeview HD recorder and cancel the BT Vision.

Hopefully someone can offer some insight into this issue.

Mr B. King.

GG
Contributor
GG

Re: Lost freeview channels we used to received, available through TV freeview and standalone freevie

Hi BK

Try unplugging the ariel from the vision box; re-scan for channels ( no channels will be found ); plug ariel back in and scan again - this worked for me when I lost some of the freeview channels the other day.

Cheers,

GG

Expert
notoriousdbp

Re: Lost freeview channels we used to received, available through TV freeview and standalone freevie

Might be to do with where you are.  Have you checked digitaluk.co.uk to see if there is any pre-switchover transmitter work going on?

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
Expert
masona2

notoriousdbp wrote:

Might be to do with where you are.  Have you checked digitaluk.co.uk to see if there is any pre-switchover transmitter work going on?

What, for several months?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Expert
notoriousdbp

masona2 wrote:

What, for several months?

Oh yeah, missed that bit :smileyvery-happy:

Right then, scrap that previous suggestion.

Two questions,

1) are you using the black or silver box

2) are you connected via HDMI

Reason I ask is that from personal experience, I have seen signal degradation when connected via HDMI.  If you have the silver box you can ccheck / confirm this via RF or SCART, if it's the black box then you can check via SCART only

Expert
masona2

I've seen you and others post this before, about the scart and HDMI connection.

Do you know why this happens?

As to me, the uninitiated, your output (to your TV), should not affect your input (your aerial).

Does that make sense?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Expert
notoriousdbp

masona2 wrote:

I've seen you and others post this before, about the scart and HDMI connection.

Do you know why this happens?

As to me, the uninitiated, your output (to your TV), should not affect your input (your aerial).

Does that make sense?

You're absolutely right, it shouldn't.  However, on mine it does.  I've noticed if I move the HDMI lead about a bit the signal improves.  If I remove the HDMI lead the signal returns to 100% quality on all channels.  So it's either a faulty lead, a fault in the vision box hardware or some sort of combination of the two.  I've done enough tests to be satisfied that it's not a problem with my aerial when it happens to me.

My father in law has a black box connected via HDMI and has no such trouble.  I'm reluctant to report a faulty box and request a replacement as I have recordings I don't want to lose, such as my daughter's third birthday card being read out on CBeebies, and everything works most of the time.

Even weirder is the interference on my hard drive from my Xbox which I get sometimes, really no explanation for that.  (that's in a thread on it's own :smileyhappy:)

Expert
masona2

[ Edited ]

notoriousdbp wrote:

Even weirder is the interference on my hard drive from my Xbox which I get sometimes, really no explanation for that.  (that's in a thread on it's own :smileyhappy:)

Ah,

I've read about that on here and other forums.

Apparantly it's a problem with the XBOX. ie If you had a WII or PS3 this wouldn't interfer with your Vbox.

The cause is the xbox wires. People solved it by either buying shielded cables, or covering them in tin foil.

This stopped the interference.

Hope that helps.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
BK
Beginner
BK

Silver v-box, using HDMI. Will try the scan with aerial out. And check out via start and via hdmi. Thanks for all the ideas. Will post back once I've tried them all. Only using PS3 so shouldn't have the interference problem thankfully.
Expert
minusdot

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. How are your vbox and TV receiving the signal? If they've got their own cables, say from a booster/splitter, have you tried swapping them around. Or are you daisy chaining from the vbox to the TV. If the latter and you get more signals on the TV than the vbox then I'd be suspect that there could be a fault with your vbox.