Beginner
bearcub42

New black Vision+ box upgrade. Is it a con ?

I am a BT option3 customer and have been for some time. I currently pay £5.49 for my BT vision service.

I enquired to find out why I would be expected to pay £199 in order to get the new box. New customers to BT dont have to pay this.

I was told in the reply that the two boxes have exactly the same functions ! If I wanted a new one I could simply take out a new 12 month contract !

The new contract are a minimum of £7.99 per month for three months before increasing to £14.99 per month.

I have no interest whatsoever in any of the so called vision packs as I have more than an enough to watch already.

This increase represents 100% jus for a different colour box !  BT seem intent on conning us or ripping us off !

Has anyone else triedto replace their old vision box with the new one?  I have tried phoning BT but just got send round in circles va several different Indian call cetres, none of whom could answer my query !

Expert
jam2000

Re: New black Vision+ box upgrade. Is it a con ?

Why do you want a black box anyway?

They are both the same apart from power usage!

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

So you want BT to send you a brand new box for nothing, and without signing up for any vision packs? Why would they want to do that?
Expert
notoriousdbp

It's absolutely not a con because it isn't an upgrade.  It's just cosmetically different and slightly more efficient on power consumption.  Apart from that no difference so not an upgrade therefore if you really really want one you'll have to pay for it.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
Beginner
bearcub42

I dont recall saying anywhere that I expected BT to send me a new box for nothing! I stated that a 100% increase in the price seems high for just a change in colour !

Expert
notoriousdbp

It's because the original price paid is subsidised to attract new customers.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
saints66

...so is my silver v+ box able to receive the new freeview hd channels? I've scanned but can't see any - do I have to wait until my region is enabled? Or do I need a new black v+ box?
Aspiring Expert
Storm_Force

you will need to check when you area will receive freeviewHD, eitherway the silver or black box do NOT have a freeviewHD tuner.

Expert
MickyG

Storm_Force wrote:

you will need to check when you area will receive freeviewHD, eitherway the silver or black box do NOT have a freeviewHD tuner.

Our transmitter (Sandy Heath) goes over to Digital in April 2011 - so I'll be having a chat with the guys on the phone at that time about a new box (if the Freeview HD compatible box is out by then!).

andym

acording to bt vision tech you wont be receiving freeview hd as the current boxes dont have the hd tuner

so it will be a new box yet again