Expert
DonDino

New look (Linux) updating currently - it NEEDS the Home Hub

[ Edited ]

Reporting live from the Vision box software update :smileyvery-happy:

My box is updating now. Realised it as the 'record' light went yellow and the on/standby light switched off.

Glad I switched the TV to Vision to watch the process and messages on screen. It was trying to download the 'update tool' and kept failing with error VDR102. This error code seems to be one of the few things for which Google has zero hits.

I was prepared for the possibility though, and had the HH3 on standby (I normally use my own Cisco router). Thankfully it was going to make 7 retries, so I disconnected my router and jacked in the HH. Sure enough, it began downloading the thing just fine.
So anyone waiting for the new look update, bear in mind if you're using your own router, it might not work.

UPDATE:

It's now completed the update. All went well. Sky Sports was also activated within a few minutes.

I've switched back to my own router again and it all works well.

I really like the new TV Guide which shows the live TV picture in a small window, and generally the new look is much better, although it will take some getting used to.

Expert
walkerx

Re: New look (Linux) updating currently - it NEEDS the Home Hub

DonDino wrote:

Reporting live from the Vision box software update :smileyvery-happy:

My box is updating now. Realised it as the 'record' light went yellow and the on/standby light switched off.

Glad I switched the TV to Vision to watch the process and messages on screen. It was trying to download the 'update tool' and kept failing with error VDR102. This error code seems to be one of the few things for which Google has zero hits.

I was prepared for the possibility though, and had the HH3 on standby (I normally use my own Cisco router). Thankfully it was going to make 7 retries, so I disconnected my router and jacked in the HH. Sure enough, it began downloading the thing just fine.
So anyone waiting for the new look update, bear in mind if you're using your own router, it might not work.

UPDATE:

It's now completed the update. All went well. Sky Sports was also activated within a few minutes.

I've switched back to my own router again and it all works well.

I really like the new TV Guide which shows the live TV picture in a small window, and generally the new look is much better, although it will take some getting used to.

Bit bad if they are forcing you to use the HH3 so you can get an update - I don't like to use it as it doesn't do any reporting that my dlink router can do

Aspiring Expert
kenkyle236

[ Edited ]

Very nice :smileywink: May I ask how long you had to wait for the update to come to your box after ordering sky sports? For me I have to wait almost 3 weeks for it D:

Expert
DonDino

Yes it's not good that it requires the HH. It seems it gives BT some sort of additional access to the Vision box that they can't have otherwise. Perhaps there is a certain port that needs to be forwarded. From various google searches, I've found that people have forwarded ports 43962, 3389 and 1027 to the Vision box, so I keep these forwarded all the time just in case. However even with these ports forwarded the update tool wouldn't download.

Someone on another thread about SS activation mentioned I should try with the HH, in case activation was prevented by my router for some reason, so I already had the HH ready and waiting as I thought it could also be necessary for the update - and it was.

As for the time scale, I ordered Sky Sports on Sunday 19/08 and the update happened 26/08 around 1am.

Expert
minusdot

DonDino wrote:

Yes it's not good that it requires the HH. It seems it gives BT some sort of additional access to the Vision box that they can't have otherwise. Perhaps there is a certain port that needs to be forwarded. From various google searches, I've found that people have forwarded ports 43962, 3389 and 1027 to the Vision box, so I keep these forwarded all the time just in case. However even with these ports forwarded the update tool wouldn't download.

Someone on another thread about SS activation mentioned I should try with the HH, in case activation was prevented by my router for some reason, so I already had the HH ready and waiting as I thought it could also be necessary for the update - and it was.

As for the time scale, I ordered Sky Sports on Sunday 19/08 and the update happened 26/08 around 1am.

You could always try dropping the vbox into the DMZ, if you prefer to use another router.

deanyouds

I think this is what im looking for...

The text above me though does not make sense to me (im not not very technical!)

Can somebody please explain?  whats a HH3?

Contributor
stevemarsbar

deanyouds wrote:

Can somebody please explain?  whats a HH3?

Home Hub 3

deanyouds

I only have the HH2. So the problem it wont download is because i need the HH3? 

So now i have to go out and buy the latest home hub for an update i didnt want or ask for and BT told me nothing about this?

Expert
DonDino

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure what exactly it is about the HH3 that allows the old version (Windows CE) to be updated to the new version (Linux)... perhaps an extra port open to the box or something? I couldn't say. If Vision works fine with the HH2, my guess would be the update would also have no problem completing with the HH2. But who can ever be sure?

Since the new look update however, I've always had my own router (Cisco/Linksys) until recently, and the box was further updated once in December without any problems, so the Linux software is much more flexible.

Expert
skappy70

No, the HH2 should be okay as I was using one when trialling new look.