Beginner
Anke

No television signal, 0 channels

Hi

I am new here, actually I am even new to the UK and its television system. We just moved into a flat in London, and signed up for the telephone/broadband/television package.

As of last week, everything has been installed, and broadband is working fine. TV however does not give a signal (0 channels found). Phoned the helpdesk and they claimed that I should wait since TV activation takes 24 hours longer than internet, the nice helpdesk girl promised to call me back the next day (but never did).

Several days later  the scan still states 0 channels found. Our signal seems to be poor, but we can receive some channels in good strength when plugging the aerial cable into the TV, so I expected to at least find a couple.

Since I am not familiar with the whole "aerial thing" (they have been replaced by cable in the Netherlands over 15 years ago) where should I start. Could it be an activation problem, or should I first contact my landlord about the aerial, which will probably be of no avail? It feels like we accidently signed up for something completly useless, for us at least :smileysad:  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Expert
Rachael42

Re: No television signal, 0 channels

bt vision requires two connections to work

one to the broadband which allows you to watch the on demand programs provided by bt

it is this part that can take a short while to activate

the second connection is the aerial which allows you to watch the freeview channels (live)

for this to work you must have a reasonably strong signal

if you need any more info on this just ask and the community and mods here will try to help

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Beginner
Anke

Thanks,

The broadband seems to work,  I can get the on demand shows (actually since today) so I guess it is a problem with the aerial. Shouldn't I at least find the channels that give a good signal?

What if my landlord will not help with fixing/renewing the aerial, are there any other options (like trying an indoor aerial or so?).

Anke

Expert
Rachael42

OK the bt vision box does require a stronger signal than is needed for a normal Freeview tv due to the way it splits the signal to be able to record two channels at once

so it does look like its the aerial that is the problem

I don't think an indoor aerial would be any good but you may try a signal booster.

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

Whether or not an indoor aerial will work depends on the signal strength in your area.  Generally, they are not recommended for freeview, but if the signal streangth is high, then it may work.

Unfortunately, using an indoor aerial can be very much hit-and-miss as the signal streangth can even vary in different parts of the room as walls and other things will afect the signal.  Typically, the best signal is obtained while standing on one leg, with arms fully outstretched, in an inaccesible part of the room where there's no possibility of fixing the aerial in place :smileyhappy:.  More seriously, the higher you can place the aerial the better.

I did once get a good signal using a full-size TV aerial bolted to a high shelf in my living room.  It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Expert
masona2

[ Edited ]

Ectophile wrote:

Whether or not an indoor aerial will work depends on the signal strength in your area.  Generally, they are not recommended for freeview, but if the signal streangth is high, then it may work.

Unfortunately, using an indoor aerial can be very much hit-and-miss as the signal streangth can even vary in different parts of the room as walls and other things will afect the signal.  Typically, the best signal is obtained while standing on one leg, with arms fully outstretched, in an inaccesible part of the room where there's no possibility of fixing the aerial in place :smileyhappy:.  More seriously, the higher you can place the aerial the better.

I did once get a good signal using a full-size TV aerial bolted to a high shelf in my living room.  It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

"Typically, the best signal is obtained while standing on one leg, with arms fully outstretched, in an inaccesible part of the room where there's no possibility of fixing the aerial".

OMG, Thats true...

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Expert
Rachael42

To quote the op

"can receive some channels in good strength when plugging the aerial cable into the TV, "

with the existing aerial

and yet nothing on the vbox

given that the loss through a brick wall is likely to be around 6db which is equal to halving the signal to that in free space plus the lower gain from a portable aerial as compared to a fixed installation and the lower height

my conclusion portable aerial will not work

Beginner
Anke

Perhaps I should start by asking the landlord to reposition the aerial. I checked this morning, and I think I can see it from my window, and it appears to be in a different direction than the other ones around.

I am close to Kings cross in a 5 story building ( 4th myself), I would expect that the signal could be better than what we are getting now

Thanks for helping out a dutch newbie :smileyhappy:

Guru
stuartrogerson

Anke wrote:

Hi

I am new here, actually I am even new to the UK and its television system. We just moved into a flat in London, and signed up for the telephone/broadband/television package.

As of last week, everything has been installed, and broadband is working fine. TV however does not give a signal (0 channels found). Phoned the helpdesk and they claimed that I should wait since TV activation takes 24 hours longer than internet, the nice helpdesk girl promised to call me back the next day (but never did).

Several days later  the scan still states 0 channels found. Our signal seems to be poor, but we can receive some channels in good strength when plugging the aerial cable into the TV, so I expected to at least find a couple.

Since I am not familiar with the whole "aerial thing" (they have been replaced by cable in the Netherlands over 15 years ago) where should I start. Could it be an activation problem, or should I first contact my landlord about the aerial, which will probably be of no avail? It feels like we accidently signed up for something completly useless, for us at least :smileysad:  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You need to contact your landlord about the aerial and tell him/them it doesn't work and you can't receive TV.

This is quite different from BT Vision.

If your landlord won't address the aerial issue then you haven't signed up for anything useless at all as you have BT Vision.

What channels do you get when the aerial socket is plugged in to the TV itself?

Kafka's World
1000 Classical Hits
Guru
guilbo

[ Edited ]

Are you using a Freeview TV? There are 2 services broadcasting in London at the moment: analogue and digital. If you are receiving just channels 1-5 on the TV the chances are you're only getting a strong enough signal to receive Analogue successfully and the Vbox can't receive these. If you're getting channels other than those on the TV then you may still have a problem with signal strength, as others have said. The Vbox needs a strong signal to function properly.