Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

Powerline Adapters - can they be switched off?

Just setting up the Vision box today. We only have the 'on-demand' service.

We are using the (black) plug-in powerline adapters as the hub is upstairs - do we have to leave them on all the time or can we just power them up when we want to use the vision box?

Thanks

Aspiring Expert

Re: Powerline Adapters - can they be switched off?

Switching them off shouldn't cause any problems.  If the box needs to do any kind of handshake with the servers it'll do it when you power them up again to watch a program.

Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

That depends on whether you leave your vision box on as well.

If the vision box is on then it needs to communicate with the server for updates, so the powerline adapters will have to be left on.

If you turn everything off, then make sure the powerline adapters are showing green, before turning the vision box on, otherwise it will not start up.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Expert

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

That depends on whether you leave your vision box on as well.

If the vision box is on then it needs to communicate with the server for updates, so the powerline adapters will have to be left on.

Strictly speaking...not true.  It's true that the box needs to communicate to the servers to update, but it will happily sit there working (i.e. you're able to watch freeview) without having the adaptors connected once it is set up.  If something happens like a power shortage the box will need a connection to the servers to re-start.

As the op suggests they don't use it for freeview and want to switch the adaptors off it's likely they will switch the box off as well.

Recognised Expert

Susanne wrote:

Just setting up the Vision box today. We only have the 'on-demand' service.

We are using the (black) plug-in powerline adapters as the hub is upstairs - do we have to leave them on all the time or can we just power them up when we want to use the vision box?

Thanks

The vbox is designed to work with an always on internet connection. It will function without it briefly, but odd things can happen, for example with scheduled recordings and the TV guide. Also, the t&cs state that, unless you have bought the vbox outright, the vbox should always be on and connected to the internet. Personally I'd recommend trying to find a way to get an ethernet cable to connect the vbox to the hub, but failing that just leave the powerline's on 24x7.

Aspiring Expert

Susanne

It depends on how you're going to be using it.  I read your post to mean that you don't use it for watching broadcast (i.e. freeview) content, just for watching VOD.  If that's the case, then when you go to watch a program you'll need to switch on the adaptors (which you know of course).  If you don't use it to watch TV programs having them on when you're not watching a VOD programme serves no purpose other than to use electricity.  Just make sure you switch them on before switching the vision box itself (I'm assuming you'd switch that off as well when not in use).

Contributor

Thank you for your comments

Yes I think we will only be using it for on demand viewing as the TV can already get Freeview. We will be switching the Vbox off most of the time I think. I will make sure the adpaters come on and set themselves up before switching on the vbox.

Thanks again

Distinguished Sage

Just remember about the terms and conditions, as mentioned by "minusdot" on his message, otherwise you could be landed with a large bill !
There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor

We havn't bought a BT vision package. It was ordered as a one off fee when we signed up for broadband - I think it cost us £60

Thanks for pointing out the T&C I will have a careful read and probably will have to leave it on all the time after all. I just don't like wasting electricity.

Aspiring Expert

Keith_Beddoe wrote:
Just remember about the terms and conditions, as mentioned by "minusdot" on his message, otherwise you could be landed with a large bill !

What a ridiculous piece of scaremongering.  Like BT are going to going to be bothered about someone being environmentally friendly....get real!!