Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

Problem connecting Samsung TV and Vision + box via HDMI cable

Hi. yesterday i purchased a new Samsung PS42C450B 42" HD Ready Plasma TV, and connected it to my silver BT vision + box.  Unfortunately it's all picture no sound!  Having read the manual of the new TV, it states that this exact problem may occur if external devices using HDMI cables have not been upgraded to HDMI 1.3. 

It worked perfectly on my Sony LCD 32", but now only via a scart (very poor picture compared to freeview via the Samsungs built in Freeview decoder).

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there an upgrade to the silver BT vision box, or a software upgrade for the HDMI output that will upgrade the box from 1.1 to 1.3??

Many thanks

Niallse

Re: Problem connecting Samsung TV and Vision + box via HDMI cable

Hello Niallse

How strange!  I also tried yesterday to connect my Samsung to a silver vision box and I am having the same sound problem.  I normally have the sound volume about 27/28 when connected via a scart cable but am finding that I have no sound unless I have the volume up to 90+ and even then it is very muffled.  What a pain.  Using the cable has also messed up the general 'switch on' as it doesn't automatically start with HDMI and I can't seem to find anyway to set this as the default setting.

I also want to be able to keep my dvd player connected via Scart and a Wii console.

So if there is anyone out there who knows the answer please come back to us ASAP!

Thank you in anticipation.

LinB

Recognised Expert

I had the same problem last year when connecting up my Samsung B650. Have you tried connecting to HDMI3 (DVI)? or whatever the manual says for older HDMI connections (it may vary depending on the TV model)

Recognised Expert

And to answer your question about Switching, HDMI doesn't support Switching and it seems Samsung TVs don't switch Scart either.

Beginner

Thanks will give that a go.

Niallse

Aspiring Expert

skappy70 wrote:

And to answer your question about Switching, HDMI doesn't support Switching and it seems Samsung TVs don't switch Scart either.

My DVD player is recognised via HDMI and switching it on switches on the TV and sets the TV remote control so that I can control the DVD player using it. Why the BT Vision box can't be this clever is beyond me. I want an integrated setup.

Recognised Expert

My Panasonic switches automatically using HDMI with the Vision box but the in-law Samsung 32" doesn't.  There does seem to be a few niggles with HDMI between the vision box and Samsung TV's.  I have the silver box by the way and my in-laws have a black one.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
Contributor

the old silver box doesn't send audio through hdmi. you will have to connect optical or phono cables

Guru

Mine does? I have my Silver box connected to my Samsung TV only by HDMI cable and it works just fine and alwaus has done

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits | Kafka's World
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
Recognised Expert

jatmister wrote:

the old silver box doesn't send audio through hdmi. you will have to connect optical or phono cables

Not true.