Expert
skappy70

Re: Problems with BBC iPlayer through BT Vision

What version of Vision and box are those having issues using?

Expert
skappy70

Aspiring Contributor
Kerloch

According to Skappy's link, BT says it is now fixed.  Unfortunately it isn't.  For example, QI from 8 Feb still stops playing and reverts to the menu

Expert
skappy70

The only issue I have had recently was that some, not all, HD programmes stutter at the beginning, but last night programmes were taking a long time to start. I was watching Brain Doctors and for the first time I had stuttering during it. When it finished it didn't go back to the main menu but it showed a white screen, I had to press back to get to the menu. I still believe it's a BBC problem so can the Mods contact the THD to tell them what's going on.

Aspiring Contributor
glennexcelman

Hi Skappy, I have a black BT Vision box. Is there any other information I can give?

Aspiring Contributor
david22williamson

For 2 months I have had this issue. Pretty **bleep** really.

And yes the helpdesk are useless.

Contributor
bonnyrigger

Getting stutttering and freezing on iPlayer via my old silver Vision box, however iPlayer works fine on my Panasonic smart tellly, would seem to suggest either on issue with the box or the dedicated bit of my broadband link (6.5Mbs) which is supposed to feed Vision.

Other on-demand items over Vision work absolutely fine.

Aspiring Expert
maxrpg

And today we see the return of the iPlayer freezing bug that for some reason likes to reboot your vision box.

Start playing a show on iplayer and 10-15 minutes in the picture flicker and the box shuts down and reboots...been doing it all morning while trying to watch 3 different shows.

What baffles me is not the fact that this keeps happening on and off for last few months but the fact it resets the vision box instead of just displaying an error page or something...however iplayer is transmitted through the vision box must be the issue causing a problem so severe that the box has to shut down.

BT should spend some money and hire some real qualified programmers and technicians who know what the heck they are doing.

Aspiring Contributor
mengles

[ Edited ]

Hello

I have had this problem, but it seemed to go away if I used a cable between the hub and the BT vision box.

Of late iplayer has frozen and the BT box has rebooted if I use a IP over the mains links between hub and BT box, but not if I use a cable directly between hub and box. The freeze usually happens about 11 mins in from the start of watching.

It means that in order to watch a complete programme, I wind in about 11 mins or near to the time the player froze.

I can't workout why there is a problem with the IP over mains links.

PS a correction to the above. I have just had a 11min iPlayer crash and reboot and reinstall of OS/Firmware withe box connected to the modem and IP adaptors bypassed. So they cannot be the problem. It seems to me a problem with a CMOS battery that computers can have. There must be a battery in this!

PS2 As others have said there is no problem with the C4 or ITV players, just BBC iPlayer. It could be that the BBC data stream needs to have a stable box and the instabilitry is caused by a CMOS battery running low and not maintainling the internal clock, or a basic incompatibility between the BBC data stream and the box software. This problem has only emerged for us very recently. I have an engineer coming next Friday, so a solution might came from this visit.

I can watch a complete programme on iPlayer, by restarting the stream and spooling to the point of the crash. It will then play for another 11 or 12 mins.

Mike Engles

Aspiring Contributor
mengles

Hello

I have just cancelled the visit from BT to look at the BT Vision Box.

I think I have found out why the BT box crashes.

Whilst decorating the room which houses the phone extension that is connected to the hub, I disturbed a couple of wires. I rewired these the wrong way round, therby inverting the polarity. It seems that the BT hub or the BT box is sensitive to polarity, but why, eludes me. It also does not explain why the other catchup services are not affected. Anyway BBC iPlayer is now working properly and if there is a slight freeze due to lack of cache, the box does not crash.

My suggestion is to check the wiring of extensions to see if anything has changed, causing the box to crash, especially if the crashing is a recent thing.

Mike Engles