Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
0 Ratings

Re: WARNING! After the end of May 2017 the BT Vision+ box will not work properly!

Another question So I know i can use this as a freeview recording box only after 27th June 2017 I take it you wont need a network cable in the box for this ?

Thanks

D

BT TV Expert
0 Ratings

Re: WARNING! After the end of May 2017 the BT Vision+ box will not work properly!

[ Edited ]

That's correct. It will continue to function as a Freeview PVR after 27th June 2017 so you can watch and record Freeview channels (but not Freeview HD channels) from your TV aerial. It won't need a network connection. In fact there's no point leaving it connected to the network as it won't be able to access any online services. 

You're welcome to pass the box on to a friend or, if it's unwanted, you may return it to BT for recycling and I believe you should have received information about the recycling option if you received a YouView box. 

Existing Freeview and Freeview HD recordings will work indefinitely, but recordings from BT Extra TV channels (301-599) will be unavailable from 27th June. 

BT TV ExpertPaulSk
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
Contributor
0 Ratings

Thanks PaulSk for the prompt Solution
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

so, just to be crystal clear, after 27 June, does this mean I cannot even watch TV through the old vision box?  i.e. access the TV guide, delay TV facilities etc?

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Plus - once I've switched to the YouView box, will I still be able to plug in the BT Vision Box to watch old recordings?
BT TV Expert
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

After 27 June the old Vision box will continue to work as a PVR (Personal Video Record). That means you can connect it to your TV and TV aerial and use it to watch and record all of the Freeview channels, like BBC, ITV, etc. Your Freeview recordings, old and new, will work fine, indefinitely, without you needing to do anything and you will still be able to record 2 programmes while watching another recording. We've worked hard to make that possible even after BT's official support ends as we'd like to think the boxes were still useful to some and not being scrapped. 

However, you won't be able to record any HD channels. That's because the Vision box doesn't have the necessary DVB-T2 tuner that it would need to record HD channels. We overcame this by cunningly sending all of the Freeview HD channels across our "multicast network" and making them work just like the channels you receive through your aerial. The new YouView box does have a DVB-T2 tuner so can receive HD channels through the TV aerial. Even better, in some cases it can sometimes record two channels while you watch a third, depending on the channels. (e.g. you can record BBC 1 HD and ITV 1 HD and also watch BBC 2 HD at the same time). 

You can keep your old Vision box or if you upgrade to a YouView you may want to pass it on to a friend. I doubt there will be any significant resale value as there are several hundred thousand boxes out there and many will be passed on or sold very cheaply. In years to come, it might become a collector's item though and I expect the odd customer might take one along to Antique's Roadshow to be valued by a very excited, elderley techie, who with shaking hands and a tear in his eye, will recount stories of working on it in the good old days...

BT TV ExpertPaulSk
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Amusing. But I don't think you answered my 2 questions. Or perhaps I'm just being thick.
BT TV Expert
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

Yes, after Tuesday the box will function as a Freeview PVR. You will be able to watch and record TV including channels 001 to 299. This includes the 8-day TV guide, time shifting, recording, playing, watching while recording, instant rewind, subtitles, audio description, your recordings list, HDMI, SCART, phono and S/PDIF outputs etc. Series link and everything that you are used to will continue to work. 

You can unplug the box and reconnect it several months later and the recordings should still play and you will still be able to watch TV. All of those functions should continue without any support from BT.

It is only the BT TV service (including BT Extra TV channels 300-599, online films in the BT Store etc) that will no longer be available on those old boxes as a free upgrade to a much improved YouView box is on offer from BT. 

BT TV ExpertPaulSk
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Thank you Smiley Happy