Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Expert
Accepted Solution

Remote Replacement?

This is probably a daft question, but where can I get a new Vision remote?

I have trawled through the entire BT site in an effort to find out where or how to buy a  replacement for my almost five years old, terminally ill unit. All to no avail.

I've seen them on eBay but these are used versions and may be prone to early expiry.

I will be grateful for any help and will devour copious amounts of humble pie if a solution is staring me in the face !

Distinguished Sage

Re: Remote Replacement?

carrier6165 wrote:

This is probably a daft question, but where can I get a new Vision remote?

I have trawled through the entire BT site in an effort to find out where or how to buy a  replacement for my almost five years old, terminally ill unit. All to no avail.

I've seen them on eBay but these are used versions and may be prone to early expiry.

I will be grateful for any help and will devour copious amounts of humble pie if a solution is staring me in the face !

Ring up the BT Vision helpdesk, that is how I got one a couple of weeks ago. My original one was worn out, and they send a free replacement within two days. Very efficient service :smileyhappy:

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Expert

Many thanks Keith. I'll do that right away.

Beginner

I've just had to do the same thing - it was a ridiculously painful experience, I was on the phone for over half an hour while they performed "diagnosis", switching box off and on, resetting remote, asking EXACTLY which buttons didn't work.  Eventually got them to agree to replace. Should have been a 5 minute call, I've been a BT Vision customer for years, and I still have the original remote (even though I have a replacement box!).

Expert

EvilMick wrote:

I've just had to do the same thing - it was a ridiculously painful experience, I was on the phone for over half an hour while they performed "diagnosis", switching box off and on, resetting remote, asking EXACTLY which buttons didn't work.  Eventually got them to agree to replace. Should have been a 5 minute call, I've been a BT Vision customer for years, and I still have the original remote (even though I have a replacement box!).

And they'll do the same with the OP too. They have too, as every now and then, they solve the problem, with no replacement remote required. Its just standard practice. And prudent too.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Expert

Thank you BT :smileyhappy: (never thought I'd say that lol :smileyvery-happy: )

I tried the cleaning method to solve the chronic problem with poor contact, and consequential malfunctioning of the most used buttons, but the symptoms returned quite quickly, and I finally caved in and phoned the dreaded Helpline.

Wow! Got straight through, on a clear connection to a guy in New Delhi, he asked a few simple questions, in impeccable English, about which keys, "when did the trouble start" (goodness, gracious me! lol), what colour is the Vision box, what colour remote, and after 5 mins max, he had verified my address, removed the software default charge for a new remote and told me it should arrive in 2-3 days.

Confirmation email arrived a few hours ago.

(Searching a bit, I concluded that you can have any colour as long as it's black, so I just hope that, if it is a black one, I don't have code configuration problems. Do the black ones work straight off with the old silver Vision boxes? Or do they need tweaking?)

0800800900 then options 1 3 1 2 2 2 2

Expert

New remote arrived yesterday :smileyhappy: How did we tolerate for so long squeezing the old one to near death every time we wished to change channel, consult the Guide etc?

Thanks for that good service BT. I hope the new black curvy remotes are more durable than the old silver ones.