Aspiring Contributor
Gorgatron

Sky Sports Activation

Hi all,

Can anyone tell how long I should expect to wait before SS1 and SS2 appear and, in ESPN's case, re-appear?  And also, if this is an actual problem I've come across?

I've had ESPN ever since it was introduced by BT.  This evening, I decided to add SS1 and SS2 to my existing package and, during the call to BT, I was told that my current viewing card was fine to use and that all I'd need to do is wait on the channels appearing (while not necessarily staying on one of the sports channels, despite what other advice I'd been given).  I switched on to one of the sports channels at around 6.40pm and, within 20mins, both SS1 and SS2 had appeared and were 100% watchable.

BT's online help section quotes "The activation process usually takes about 20 minutes (sometimes it can take up to 1 hour) and you need to stay tuned to the channel you're activating during this time. Once your card has been activated you'll see the TV programme being broadcast." so I thought this was perfectly normal.

However, I returned to the room to find that none of SS1, SS2 and ESPN were available, and was being shown the 'please insert viewing card' message on a black background.  They must only have been showing for around 25-30mins before this happened.

Taking the advice on-screen which said to visit BT's website if it wasn't activated after 1 hour, I did just that.

I followed the instructions on this page and waited another hour without any luck.  The next suggestion was to activate my viewing card again on this page, which I did try, but was told that I couldn't do so as an activation signal had been sent within the past 5 days.  I've now waited, remaining on only the sports channels, for 6 hours in total and yet I now have less channels than I had at the start of the day.

I've also tried suggestions such as removing and re-inserting the viewing card, re-scanning for channels, and re-booting the v+ box.

Please help!

Thanks.

Aspiring Contributor
Gorgatron

Re: Sky Sports Activation

At the time I'd left home this morning (9am), these channels still had not appeared, after having been left tuned to channel 42 overnight.  I've since left it tuned to the same channel.  I'm hoping that by the time I return home this evening, all will be well after a 24 hour wait.

I'll be really unhappy if I've missed out on both Man Utd v Rangers AND Zilina v Chelsea but the fingers and toes are all crossed.

AJP
Aspiring Expert
AJP

It sounds to me like everything was progressing perfectly normally until the three channels disappeared. Once the card has been activated it should keep the channels just like I'm guessing it did when you first added ESPN. You've tried all the sensible things so if the channels are still missing when you look tonight then you should contact Vision Support and have them check everything is ok on your account. I believe there were a few instances of similar problems when BT first added Sky Sports (showed the channel for 10 minutes then asked to insert card) but I thought things had settled down now.

Expert
ttyrie

Hi,

I added these channels yesterday and they didnt work, I called BT they advised me to tune into Sky Sports , then switch the Vision+ Box off at the socket then unplug it from the back of the box and wait 10- 20 seconds, then plug the cable back into the box and power it up then Sky Sports should start working along with the ESPN channel.

If this does not work then try reactivating your card here;

http://btcustomercardaction.mgtplc.com/vcenable/firstpage_input.action

If the channels still dont start then give BT a call on 0800 800 900 and they will fix it from there end.

Hope This Helps ;-)

Aspiring Contributor
Gorgatron

Thanks AJP.  I'm just off the phone to tech support and they've magically switched both SS1 and SS2 on, even though she initially said that everything appeared fine when I told her my problem.

But...I still have no ESPN!  And the techie was insistent that this was not part of my package!!!  After telling her that BT gave me it free of charge 13 months ago after the collapse of Setanta, and that I've had it ever since, she couldn't help me with that as it wasn't part of her remit.  Aaargh.

I am honestly on the verge of cracking up.  I have the patience of a saint 99.9% of the time but nothing ever goes smoothly for me when it comes to BT.

Does anyone have an email address I could use to get ESPN back on?  I fear that if I spend another half an hour in a holding queue, my TV and everything near it will be smashed to pieces.

Expert
ttyrie

Look on one of the moderators profiles for the email address or private message one of them with your problem they will then add it to your account so it will then work.

thanks

Community Manager
StephanieG

Hi Gorgatron,

If you can drop me an email I'll check this, can you include your forum username and BT account number?

To get our email address click on my username.

Thanks,

Stephanie
BTCare Community Manager

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Gorgatron

Thanks Stephanie - I've sent an email.

Hope this can be cleared up very soon.  I see this as a breach of contract on BT's behalf as I have emails from more than 13 months ago advising that I'd receive ESPN free-of-charge, and I've received no correspondence to advise anything to the contrary.  Nor have I made any conversation when the supply of the channel has been discussed.

Gordon

sportsfan

The same happened with me. I ordered Sky 1 and 2 this morning and re signed for a 12 month contract. The lady was ever so helpful and said I might be able to watch some sport this weekend. Er, no I replied, at 12 O Clock (12-45 actually).

What happened? Nothing. Despite all the talk of 1 hour, when my son phoned up at 12.40 (I was out) he was advised that they send it at midnight! So, that is no good to me. Hearing your story, I now assume that was also a lie. You should have had it all this morning.

To add insult to injury, I see they are promoting these fancy new boxes, black HD Vision + boxesw, while I have an old Silver one that freezes most nights when I try to watch replays etc. I expect despite signing up for 12 months there will be some reason why I dont get a new box and I am stuck with this rubbish one for at least 12 months.

Of course I missed the football today.

Expert
masona2

sportsfan wrote:

The same happened with me. I ordered Sky 1 and 2 this morning and re signed for a 12 month contract. The lady was ever so helpful and said I might be able to watch some sport this weekend. Er, no I replied, at 12 O Clock (12-45 actually).

What happened? Nothing. Despite all the talk of 1 hour, when my son phoned up at 12.40 (I was out) he was advised that they send it at midnight! So, that is no good to me. Hearing your story, I now assume that was also a lie. You should have had it all this morning.

To add insult to injury, I see they are promoting these fancy new boxes, black HD Vision + boxesw, while I have an old Silver one that freezes most nights when I try to watch replays etc. I expect despite signing up for 12 months there will be some reason why I dont get a new box and I am stuck with this rubbish one for at least 12 months.

Of course I missed the football today.

If your box and your On demand services are rubbish, why did you re-sign-up?

And then give them even more of your money by subscribing to Sky Sports?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.