Beginner
Drake400

Sky Sports will not activate

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can help with this problem - five days on the phone to the BT Vision helpline have not managed to resolve it. 

I added Sky Sports to the package on Sunday and was told it would take one hour to activate, possibly up to 24. It didn't activate on Sunday so I waited until the day after to see if it would work.

It wasn't working, so I re-activated the card, rebooted the box, waited an hour on the channel - no joy. Called the helpline and was told to unplug my box and plug it back in again, then wait on the channel for an hour. When I explained I had already done that the reply was "It will work this time."

It wasn't working on Tuesday night so we called again, were told to reboot the box, stay on the channel for an hour. Again, no joy - we had already done these things before calling the helpline. We escalated our complaint to a manager and were told that "the order has not been placed properly, but now it has so it will work within 24 hours". We were told that someone would ring back 6pm Wednesday with confirmation of our working Sky Sports. The phone call came and we were told that the channels were not working yet but would be within two hours. Two hours later and the channels were still not working.

This evening we came home and tried the usual routine of re-activating the card, rebooting the box, staying on the channel for an hour and again it did not work. So we called the helpline and explained that 24 hours ago a manager had assured us the Sky Sports would be working by now. Again, the advisor told us to reboot the box, take the card out, clean the gold chip and refused to understand that we had been through all this four evenings in a row and had been told our Sky Sports would be working by now.

We have checked the signal strength and it is 78% (signal quality 100%) on both channels, plus ESPN works fine. We have followed all of the steps in the troubleshooting procedure and spent more than five hours on the phone to people who cannot understand that this is something more than us struggling to activate the channels in the normal way.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Expert
Guyincognito76

Re: Sky Sports will not activate

Did you speak to India? I had a similar problem when I joined, I had Sky Sports but no ESPN, they simply hadn't activated it. India kept taking me through the steps you're doing though.
Guru
stuartrogerson

I take it you have tried the insutctions given here :

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/Sports-Card-Viewing-Activate-your-card-via-your-BT-Vision-box/t...

If that doesn't work, then drop the MODS an email via : http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Kafka's World
1000 Classical Hits
Beginner
Drake400

Yep, I've spoken to the Indian call centre (my problem is not in their script) and followed the instructions for activating through the TV.

Emailed the mods yesterday but no reply yet, just an acknowledgement.

I am really disappointed with BT's handling of this issue, shocking 'customer service'!
Expert
ttyrie

[ Edited ]

Give BT sales a call (UK Based), they'll be able to get it sorted for you :smileywink:

0800 800 900

Sounds like it hasnt been added to your account or set up properly so will need the sales people to sort it out for you.

Beginner
Drake400

Hi all,

We eventually got through to a UK-based helpline operator. Anyway it turns out the problem was that we did not have a Sky Sports compatible viewing card - but this was never checked by sales at the time of order, or by the many different India-based staff we spoke to about the problem. The UK guy asked us to read out the digits on our card and he knew straight away that it would never have worked. Still can't believe it took so long for someone to realise and was not checked by anyone else along the way. Think we're going to complain and ask about compensation, because this is not the first major problem we have had with Vision this year (bad C04/V04 stuff earlier on).

So one week, nearly six hours of phone calls later and we are waiting for a new viewing card to be sent out. Hopefully that should fix the problem. I'll confirm either way.

Expert
ttyrie

Make sure you ask for compensation for your loss of service :smileywink:

Beginner
Drake400

Amazingly, the new viewing card I have been sent does not work either. Followed all the usual activation steps and stayed on the channel last night, nothing happened. Channels still weren't available this morning. It's getting on for two weeks now that BT have failed to provide me with this service. I suppose I will get on the phone to India now and be told to "unplug the power cable for 10 seconds, tune into the channel and wait for an hour - it will work this time." Ridiculous. Pretty sure I'm going to cancel BT and switch over to Sky.

Expert
ttyrie

Are you sure Sky Sports has been actiavted on your account?

Phone BT Sales, ask them to check if it has been added properly to your account.

Try these steps first though:-

1. Tune to channel 41 (Sky Sports 1)

2. Remove card from your box

3. Activate card again online via http://btcustomercardaction.mgtplc.com/vcenable/firstpage_input.action

4. Insert card into your box again.

5. Switch the box off at the mains for 2 minutes

6. After 2 mins switch box back on (it should already be on channel 41)

7. The channels should then activate if Sky Sports has been added- can take upto 1 hour but usually 20 mins.

Longjumper

This happened to me. I had Sky sports 2 activated last year for a month and thought I would take it again but it didn't work. Long story short eventually ( after a week of phonecalls etc) I spoke to someone who said my vision box was out of date. It was a silver one so they sent a BT engineer out to put in a new one ( black) and this fixed the problem. Hope it works for you.