Contributor
MarkP

Re: The real reason we are finally getting iPlayer?

masona2 wrote:

Hey,

Hang on a minute,

When Nintendo, then Sony, approached the BBC to host iPlayer on the Wii and PS3, the BBC said yes.

But when Microsoft wanted it on the XBOX, they wanted to charge for it, on the xbox live gold package. So the BBC said no. They could have it, but not charge for it. Hence it's not on the xbox.

The way I understand it, BBC replay is part of the BBC's commercial division, as explained in the UI when you select a BBC programme and is therefore chargeable.

But iPlayer is a free service available to all who can get it. Hence the change.

Why are we finally getting iPlayer?

I think it's a technical roll-out for the up-coming Youview platform.

But then again I could be sitting on my face.

I believe that this decision means BBC catch up programming can only be shown through the BBC iPlayer, meaning BT will lose 1/3 of its Replay package and they need to keep those customers somehow. Hence the appearance of the iPlayer.

They wont be able to charge for it but it'll mean that BT customers won't look elsewhere to watch BBC programming on demand.

Expert
masona2

MarkP wrote:

I believe that this decision means BBC catch up programming can only be shown through the BBC iPlayer, meaning BT will lose 1/3 of its Replay package and they need to keep those customers somehow. Hence the appearance of the iPlayer.

They wont be able to charge for it but it'll mean that BT customers won't look elsewhere to watch BBC programming on demand.

You may be right.

But, and sorry for posting this, what does it matter? We're getting it.

Be happy. :smileyhappy:

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Contributor
MarkP

masona2 wrote:

MarkP wrote:

You may be right.

But, and sorry for posting this, what does it matter? We're getting it.

Be happy. :smileyhappy:

It doesn't :smileywink: but people have been asking for yonks why we have had to pay to view BBC catch up when other platforms gave it away free and BBC is prepaid for by the Licence payer, so I thought I'd share the possible reason we finally getting it free.

Expert
masona2

MarkP wrote:

It doesn't :smileywink: but people have been asking for yonks why we have had to pay to view BBC catch up when other platforms gave it away free and BBC is prepaid for by the Licence payer, so I thought I'd share the possible reason we finally getting it free.

Ah, thanks for that.

The way it's been explained to me, on another forum, by a Vision employee, is that to host BBC commercial replay on the Vision servers costs them money, hence they charge for it.

iPlayer will now be available on the Vision box, but not hosted by the BT servers, so (as you know) no longer chargeable.

And I still think it's to do with the Youview hook-up between the BBC and BT.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Expert
minusdot

masona2 wrote:

But when Microsoft wanted it on the XBOX, they wanted to charge for it, on the xbox live gold package. So the BBC said no. They could have it, but not charge for it. Hence it's not on the xbox.

Microsoft wanted to charge to access iPlayer so the BBC quite rightly said no.

BT Vision's BBC Replay service is not iPlayer and they host the programmes. So they were entitled to charge for that. But by April BBC Replay will be no more and we'll all have free iPlayer access through the vbox.

Does iPlayer through vbox count towards your internet usage? Has anyone got it already? Could you use the broadband usage monitor to verify whether it does or doesn't?

Expert
Rachael42

its difficult to see how it could be metered separately from the other on demand contentas i am assuming the any trafic over the port vod uses is un metered

a similar thing happens with bt vault where the upload dosent count as its on a different port to the download which is done on http port 80 so does count towards your limit

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Expert
minusdot

Rachael42 wrote:

its difficult to see how it could be metered separately from the other on demand contentas i am assuming the any trafic over the port vod uses is un metered

a similar thing happens with bt vault where the upload dosent count as its on a different port to the download which is done on http port 80 so does count towards your limit

It would be simple for the iPlayer content to be delivered to the vbox on port 80...

Expert
Rachael42

dificult to run vod and webservices on the same port

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced