Beginner
skin1
Accepted Solution

USING LONG ETHERNET CABLE FROM HUB TO VISION BOX

Hi, just ordered bt vision and wondered if anyone could tell me if it is ok to connect the hub to the vision box with a long Ethernet cable, 20m long. From the video clips on setting the system up they say if over 2 meters you must use power adaptors which uses your houses electrical ring main to send the signals. Do you lose picture signal or does it slow down connection to bt. Or do they give the power adaptors to make it easier for people so they don't have to run long Ethernet cables.

Many thanks

Guru
guilbo

Re: USING LONG ETHERNET CABLE FROM HUB TO VISION BOX

[ Edited ]

Ethernet spec allows cables to be longer than 20m so there shouldn't be a problem with that. I think BT only mention the 2 metres because that's the length of Ethernet cable they supply. To be honest you're better off running without the Powerlines if you possibly can.

They Powerlines are really supplied because a lot of households have have the 'phone socket in a different room from the TV.

Expert
Guyincognito76

[ Edited ]

I have a long Cat5 cable (it's 20 or 30m, I forget) connecting my Hub to
My Vision box, and it works fine.

I had to stop using the Powerline Adapters as I was getting a Wi-Fi black spot where my Mac is and so have had to use the Adapters to connect that instead.

Guru
Devon_Dave

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I also have an ethernet cable around 20m long and works ok, I think BT say the 2m rule so customers do not have long lengths of cable around their house, good old elf'nsafety.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Aspiring Expert
chrisbalmer

Yes I agree.

Stick with the Ethernet cable wherever possible as those powerline adapters are the work of the Devil.
Beginner
skin1

Many thanks to all that have replied, will be using the Ethernet cable. Thanks again.