Placebo

Want to run more than one Vision Box in your house? YES it can be done!

Evening everyone.

I have been experimenting with the boxes I have at present and have come to the conclussion that you can have any number of Vision boxes in your property.  How do I know this?

I have 3 running simultaneously at the moment at home;

1 in the Living Room, 1 in my Master Bedroom and last one in my upstairs games room.

Am uploading the video proof as we speak.

The constraints:

Only one box will play Sky Sports/ESPN but this is due to me only having ONE subscription to the channels on one card.  Should you get two other cards with subscriptions on them, I would assume this would work and you would be able to view SS & ESPN on your other boxes.

You need a few Powerline adaptors OR a lot of ethernet cable.  My weapon of choice is the adaptors as they are less obtrusive.

I use a BT Home Hub v2 + a Netgear router.  The first box in my living room is connected via powerline to the home hub, the hub is wired to my router in my office.. the bedroom box is powerlined to my Netgear router, and the games room box is wired directly to port 1 of my router (awaiting an adapter for this one as we speak!)

I have recording and FULL on demand services on ALL 3 boxes.. no speed loss is in effect on my 3MB broadband connection I may add.

However, you can only watch ONE on demand on ONE box at a time.. the other boxes will message saying that the line is being used for an on demand function and deny playing of it until the playing demand item is finished.

Any questions, I will be glad to answer them.

Link to the video coming shortly.

Placebo

Re: Want to run more than one Vision Box in your house? YES it can be done!

Contributor
cford

I had two running for a while, but after a few days they both went to continuous record and would actually record anything or let me change channels.
After I rebooted one box and removed the others ethernet they were both OK.
Things I have found are:

The first box that is powered up  seems to act as a server for recording and VOD, the other box plays content from the first.

The other box keeps its own recordings and I can watch them without ethernet in.
I have used a second box for the radio channels connected to an amp in my kitchen, it has been on without ethernet for about 3 weeks and is working fine, but I'm not using it for recording at alll.

If BT can sort this out so one box acts a server and the others use that box for recordings then that would be great.

Aspiring Contributor
baz376

Hi Placebo, just out of interest, how long have you had this set running, I ran a similar set up with two boxes, but after about a week or so got all the symptoms that the last poster said they had, and a lot more as wll.

Contributor
vipermo

What if you connect a second box up for just demand don't even go or try to record with it .Has anyone every tried this ? .I have a second box coming tomorrow i hope. I only wanna use the demand on it
Expert
ttyrie

[ Edited ]

The recordings will be all over the shop whether you record with it or not.

Dont waste your time and money on additional boxes.