Aspiring Expert
tellboy

Were changing the way we provide Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 channels on BT Vision

Hi,

Opinions please. Should I action or wait.

I have received a letter from BT title as above advsing they will be delivering through broadband and not aerial.

It advises, to keep watching, I should call right away.

They say I need to upgrade to BT Infinity.

They say, for nearly all our customers this upgrade will not cost any more.

The letter does not advise when Sky Sports will stop via aerial.

The letter does not say it will be no cost to me.

They say ring 0800 121 4505 and say "Sport upgrade' and we'll do the rest.

I did get letters continually for approx. 4 months saying to upgrade to BT Infinity for free but because my existing broadband deal was so good they would not honour it when I called.

I SUSPECT THIS IS ANOTHER ROUSE TO GET ME TO SIGN UP TO INFINITY.

Does anybody know what is happening.

All the best

Terry

Expert
MartinH

Re: Were changing the way we provide Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 channels on BT Vision

tellboy wrote:

Does anybody know what is happening.

Yes, as the letter says, BT will soon stop supplying Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 channels on BT Vision via your aerial if you live in an Infinity area. If you don't upgrade to Infinity they will cease your subscription to those channels.

If you do they will deactivate your viewing card but supply th channels via Infinity.

Aspiring Expert
Peter

Re: Were changing the way we provide Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 channels on BT Vision

[ Edited ]

My opionion  is that you should go with Infinity for the following reasons:

1) Infinity is a far more stable, faster product than ADSL ever will be.

2) The picture quality of the 3 sports channels is significantly better than the Freeview feed, not HD but a much better, less compressed SD feed.

3) ESPN is no longer a reduced hours channel.

4) It will give you the ability to receive the recently added linear channels including 1-4 in HD

5) If you haggle you will probably get it cheaper or at least no more expensive than you were paying, particularly if you are a BT shareholder.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Alas, progress is rarely without a bit of pain here and there. My exchange is still waiting for Infinity and along with many others in that position I'm still waiting to know for sure whether I'll have Sports for the next PL season. Frankly we'd much rather be having to decide whether to upgrade to Infinity or not.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Expert
umpire

[ Edited ]

I just got a similar letter today.

I'm on the Total Sports Max package. Phone, ADSL Total Broadband Option 2, Sky Sports 1&2 and ESPN.

My area has been Infinity enabled for many years and I live very near to the street cabinet so could get a good service. I would like the fast speeds of Infinity but have not upgraded in the past for several reasons.

(1)  Cost.

Initially the Infinity packages were more expensive than ADSL ones. However, these days the prices have come down and there is little or nothing between the costs.

(2)  Hardware Set Up. (Cost 2)

My master socket is not in a good place for setting up the two box solution that Infinity currently requires (separate modem and router). Ideally I would want to move it to the lounge were the TV and BT Vision box are located and spare power sockets are available. That would also allow me to easily use cabling between the components. In the past I have seen quotes for £129 and even £170 to move a master socket. Some people say they got theirs moved for free as part of the Infinity installation whereas others say they were left with cables trailing around the house. I would want to know for sure what BT would do and charge before I committed to it.

A couple of years ago there was mention of OpenReach looking at the possibility of building the modem into the master socket and using the line to power it. This seemed to come to nothing though.

More recently OpenReach have been trialling combined modem/routers so at least we would only need one box and one power socket. I was hoping this would be rolled out before I considered moving to an FTTC broadband set up.

(3)  Losing the Total Sports Max package. (Cost 3)

As many of you know the Total Sports Max package offers the Sports channels very cheaply. I have been told by BT before that if I change anything in my current contract (including moving to Infinity) then I will have to move to a new sports package and this would greatly increase the cost of the sports TV channels. Needless to say I have therefore just left it well alone and changed nothing for over two and half years. 

The letter gives no details of how the change to Infinity would affect a Total Sports Max customer. The only reason I have BT Vision is for these 3 cheap Sports channels. If the Total Sports Max package is going then I probably wouldn't bother with BT Vision (and so wouldn't need to change to Infinity).

The letter leaves several questions unanswered.

e.g. No date given for when the Freeview transmissions will stop. No clear explanation of possible installation costs and package cost changes. No indication of whether you would be starting a new 12 month tied-in minimum period (I'm currently well past the 24 month minimum of my current contract so I'm not tied-in).

I will have to ring the given number this weekend and see what they say. It says if I don't ring them I will lose the sports channels "soon".

Aspiring Expert
Peter

It Might be better to wait until the prices for the BT sports channels are announced and see if it then becomes worth losing the Total Sports Max package.  How much are they charging you for the package?

Aspiring Expert
andy_247

I also got this letter today - it feels like a strange time to give this kind of ultimatum. So many things are still up in the air - i.e. what form and pricing BT Sport will take, whether the BT talks with Sky to continue to take Sky sports will be successful, whether changing over to YouView after the next update is preferable.

I don't want to lose sky sports but I also don't want to commit to another contract without knowing the full picture.
Expert
umpire

[ Edited ]

After the January prices rises the Total Sports Max TV add-on is now £15.

For that you get Sky Sports 1&2, ESPN, and free access to all the Vision Sport on-demand content and sports catch-up content like the ESPN player. All round a very good deal for those interested in sports TV. It is no longer available for new contracts.

I agree that this is not the best of times to commit to any 12 month tie-ins. We don't yet know what the launch details for the BT Sport packages will be. It looks as though ESPN will also become part of that package after July.

Maybe the OP had the right idea and for now we should just ignore these letters. They don't give any timetable so may just be BT sending out a first warning shot. I would expect a much clearer notification if they were going to apply changes to my contract and charges any time "soon". 

Saying that there may be no harm in ringing up and just asking what the plans and options are.

P.S. As I have an old model 160GB black box there may well be another cost of having to pay £49 to upgrade to a new box capable of running the multicast version of the software.

Aspiring Expert
tellboy

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I believe this is at the moment just a sales pitch. If this is the case they are trying to put the frighteners on people before they have released details of their intentions with a timetable. Not good.

There are a number of questions:

1. When will this transition take place.

2. There is no indication of cost to me, so this must be a standard letter.

3. I pay a competitive price for my 40GB option 2, I think about £8.50/month, will they match it and for how long.

4. Will they try to increase the price of my broadband going forward.

5. Will they actually have Sky Sports next season (see other post about this).

6. Will they let me have Sky Sports with HomePlug adapters. (20m from router upstairs to Vision box downstairs).

This may be the cynic in me but if I accept there offer to upgrade I will be tied to a new contract without knowing the details and I am wondering their motives for not giving any details in the letter. Could this be for deniability reasons in the future.

I am inclined to sit tight and just wait. I don't want a protracted contractual argument going forward if I need to switch to SKY.

I could try giving them a call to see what it's all about. If I decide to do this I will report back here.

All the best

Terry

Contributor
Slay

The timing of this suggests to me that there will be no SS on DTT next football season.

BT are using this as a sneaky way to get people to upgrade to infinity. I think it will fail.