Aspiring Contributor
vivien693
Accepted Solution

Winter Hill Channel M and Movies4Men problems.

Up until recently I had no problems receiving Channel M and Movies4men on my freeview from the Winter Hill transmitter. However just recently I've not been able to recieve them due to poor signal on my BTVision box and on a seperate Humax box it reports that whilst the signal strength is 80% and the signal quality is 100% it says the channel is blocked or scrambled. Is any one else in the Manchester area having these problems?

Community Manager
StephanieG

Re: Winter Hill Channel M and Movies4Men problems.

Hi vivien693,

We have no known issues reported about this, are you still having problems with it?

Stephanie
BTCare Community Manager

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Guru
guilbo

[ Edited ]

According to ukfree the Men mux is broadcasting at 1% of the strength of the others. Don't know if that's your current problem as I don't know if it's ever been higher. Reception of such a low strength signal is likely to be patchy and easily upset.

While there it's also worth clicking on movies4men and reading the discussion. There is a statement there that mentions a recent change to a less robust transmission mode which could explain why it's suddenly fallen apart for you.

Aspiring Contributor
vivien693

The last post on the discussion states that

" the channel M multiplex which contains the Movies4Men channels did indeed change last week. In order to increase the bitrate to add the 4 new TV channels they had to change the transmission mode to one that is less robust. It would suggest that your Grandad's upstairs TV signal has gone from "just good enough" to "just not quite good enough" - and because of the way that digital TV works, the picture has gone suddenly from perfect to nothing. It may well be worth checking all the aerial cabling and plugs to see if any dodgy ones can be easily replaced- that may be enough to get the signal back again. Else you'll have to hope that Channel M can improve their transmitter - which is possible, but the timescale is unknown."

Which is probably why I've lost Channel M and Movies4Men. Shame as they both could have some interesting programmes. Hopefully they'll be able to update the transmitter again soon.

Guru
guilbo

I can't imagine such a service being commercially viable if it keeps itself to central Manchester, so I assume this is the pilot stage of a larger roll out. For now, Freesat would be the most economical mechanism to get hold of the Men channels.

Aspiring Contributor
vivien693

Channel M has been going for several years on freeview and is mainly a community channel showing programmes made by Salford University etc and as such does not have any commercial value as the only adverts it shows are Public information films.

I think M4M is on there to take up the extra banwidth.

Guru
guilbo

I see, so it's not using the new space freed up by the switchover. Maybe they've hired the space out to the Men channels to help fund them. Shame they have crippled the community service as a result. Slight own goal, methinks.

Aspiring Contributor
vivien693

M4M has been on there for over a year. Strange thing is once Sutton Coldfield was switched over they were supposed to be boosting the signal from Channel M/M4M to 2% I believe (Less interference from Sutton Coldfield after the switchover) but obviously something else has gone on.

However last night with a change in weather conditions did mean I could get a reception so that's a good sign.