Expert
masona2

Youview

Hi Guys,

There are that many threads littered with referencies to Youview, I thought I'd start a dedicated thread.

To discussus anything Youview related.

We've already had a Youview freeview HD thread, and the debate raged (in a friendly way) and questions still remain unanswered...

Youview will utilise Freeview HD, technology which the current Vision box does not contain. Yet BT have stated the current Vision box will be Youview compatable.  ??? (You see, questions not yet answered).

Youview will stream HD on demand, and evetually, HD TV. (iPlayer in HD anyone? OOH, yes please!).

But the question I wanted to kick this new thread off with is...

As BT and TalkTalk will be content partners of the new service, am I correct in thinking anyone who buys a Youview box will be able to access TalkTalk TV and BT Vision if they want to? Thereby giving these services access to potential new subscribers / users?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Guru
guilbo

Re: Youview

masona2 wrote:

Hi Guys,

But the question I wanted to kick this new thread off with is...

As BT and TalkTalk will be content partners of the new service, am I correct in thinking anyone who buys a Youview box will be able to access TalkTalk TV and BT Vision if they want to? Thereby giving these services access to potential new subscribers / users?

I believe so, although the shape of offerings will be seen in the fullness of time. Although you can access content there is likely to be an impact on things like download limits. So, for example, if you get your broadband from BT and BT content you view may not count towards your limit, but anything you get from Talk Talk will. It should make the market more competitive, but we just need to see how things will shake out.

Expert
minusdot

masona2 wrote:

Youview will utilise Freeview HD, technology which the current Vision box does not contain. Yet BT have stated the current Vision box will be Youview compatable.  ??? (You see, questions not yet answered).

Youview will stream HD on demand, and evetually, HD TV.  

Why do you insist on stating non-facts as facts? Please state the source of your statements and I'll be happy to shoot them down.
Expert
IanC

masona2 wrote:

Does it really matter ?  I don't have a HD TV - will I be barred from using Youview ?

If the box used doesn't support all of the features available, does the platform prevent me from using the services that my box does support - eg use the Youview platform, but without the HD capability ?

It seems to me that there's rather too much being made of this Youview box spec.  eg IIRC the box must have a hard drive of minimum 350GB.  If it hasn't...so what ?  It'll still work.

I'd have thought so, but at this moment in time I don't think anybody really knows for sure.

Expert
Rachael42

the hardware specs pail into insignificance compared with the fact that youview runs on the linux platform so are bt about to ditch wince and mediaroom?

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Expert
IanC

Rachael42 wrote:

the hardware specs pail into insignificance compared with the fact that youview runs on the linux platform

The box needs to present and control a user interface. That needn't be dependant on a particular operating system, in much the same way as one can now view and control web applications using pretty much any OS as long as it's capable of running a fairly standards compliant web browser.

It need only fall down when it comes to running any custom applets etc that content providers and developers mght deploy, in which case it could still work but without the features that those applets provide.

so are bt about to ditch wince and mediaroom?

Possibly.  Then again, updating "on the wire" to an embedded Linux should be doable :smileyhappy:

Aspiring Expert
Soulvache

This has already been discussed at length elsewhere on another thread...

=======================================
If you found my post helpful, please give Kudos on the left!
=======================================
Expert
masona2

minusdot wrote:

masona2 wrote:

Youview will stream HD on demand, and evetually, HD TV.  

Why do you insist on stating non-facts as facts? Please state the source of your statements and I'll be happy to shoot them down.

Hi minusdot,

Which of my statements above are you distbuting?

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Aspiring Contributor
acthedruid

From your statements it seems that you have looked at the Draft A spec and done some selective reading.

The spec is

http://www.youview.com/wp-content/themes/youview/_site_media/resources/Consumer_Device_Platform_Draf....

If you look in section 1.1 there is a note in a box, it reads.

Note: The present version of this document describes requirements for a YouView-enabled

DTT HD DTR product only.

This document will evolve over time to reflect different devices, including non-DTR and Freesat variants.

The spec in this document is for a YouView box that can receive and record Freeview HD transmissions. It also states that there will be different devices including ones that do not record and ones for Freesat.

Once you understand this you can see that this spec is the requirements for a box that provides the functions in the spec.

As the BTV box does not have HD Freeview tuners it does not provide the function in the spec so it does not have to meet the requirements.

Expert
masona2

acthedruid wrote:

From your statements it seems that you have looked at the Draft A spec and done some selective reading.

The spec is

http://www.youview.com/wp-content/themes/youview/_site_media/resources/Consumer_Device_Platform_Draf....

If you look in section 1.1 there is a note in a box, it reads.

Note: The present version of this document describes requirements for a YouView-enabled

DTT HD DTR product only.

This document will evolve over time to reflect different devices, including non-DTR and Freesat variants.

The spec in this document is for a YouView box that can receive and record Freeview HD transmissions. It also states that there will be different devices including ones that do not record and ones for Freesat.

Once you understand this you can see that this spec is the requirements for a box that provides the functions in the spec.

As the BTV box does not have HD Freeview tuners it does not provide the function in the spec so it does not have to meet the requirements.

Ah!

So the Vision box will be able to host the Youview platform, but it does not have to have all the functions listed in draft A.

Thanks for explaining that. 

How dissapointing.

If that is the case, when Youview Freeview HD is launched, personally, I can't see myself staying with a Vision box.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.