Aspiring Contributor
daveoflynn1
Accepted Solution

bt vision box wont let me tune my digitalTV!

Abut 6 months ago I bought a Sony LCD TV and it all tuned nicely with the BT vision box.

In the past week I have been unable to watch anything on the "digital TV" but have to watch the BT vision channels instead (when the tv is turned on you have the option to watch digital tv, watch BT vison channels, watch a dvd and so on )

Its all a bit odd and the TV will work and tune itself correctly via the aerial socket but will do nothing when the aerial is plugged into the bt vision box ie all i can watch are channels streamed through the BT visoon box and the quality is not that great.

The box has caused probs in the past and occasionally the recpetion is very poor - hence watching "digital TV" all of the time.

If anyone can suggest what is going on and avoid my having to get a tv engineer in and yes I have switched it off and on again!

Thanks

Expert
Rachael42

Re: bt vision box wont let me tune my digitalTV!

when the aerial is connected to the bt vision box you will need to have a cable from the rf out on the vision box to the aerial in on your TV

if you just rely on the scart lead or hdmi lead from the vision box you will only be able to watch bt vision

if you could post here how you have them connected i may be able to explain more

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Aspiring Contributor
daveoflynn1

Hi - thanks for your reply - the tv and bt vision box have been working perfectly trogether for months and months and yes there is an rf out lead from the bt vision box to the tv - that I do know how to check.

It is however very odd that with no changes to the aerial, this seems to be happening.

Any input would be useful.

I have re-tuned the TV, searched for channels on the bt vision box when connected to the aerial and when not ( so am essentially doing everything one is supposed to when it doesnt work properly).

I am at the stage where I am going to get rid of bt vision - which is a shame- but it would be pointless to do so if in fact there isnt a problem with the box!

Contributor
westbynorthwest

Hi Dave, do you have a button on your TV remote marked DTV, pressing this button should give you acssess to your

in built Digital tuner.

Aspiring Contributor
daveoflynn1

ahg yes of course i do - i know how to access digital tv, i had thought that someone there might have been able to suggest what the problem is with the bt digital box.

The signal from the analogue side is fairly poor.

The signal when plugged from tv straignt into aerial is great

the signal when the tv is plugged straight into the bt box which has the aerial itself plugged into it results in

no digital tv but a signal from the bt box ie the suual channels but lacking the quality of the digital tv side

Its all abit confusing

Expert
masona2

[ Edited ]

daveoflynn1 wrote:

ahg yes of course i do - i know how to access digital tv, i had thought that someone there might have been able to suggest what the problem is with the bt digital box.

The signal from the analogue side is fairly poor.

The signal when plugged from tv straignt into aerial is great

the signal when the tv is plugged straight into the bt box which has the aerial itself plugged into it results in

no digital tv but a signal from the bt box ie the suual channels but lacking the quality of the digital tv side

Its all abit confusing

Hi,

Ah, now I'm understanding what you mean.

If you plug your aerial directly into your TV and watch your TVs digital Freeview tuner, the pictures great.

If you plug your aerial into your Vision box and watch Freeview via your box the pictures awful or you get no picture at all.

Yes?

Edit - Perform a signal strength test. Please note this will stop any recordings you have in progress.

Press BT Vision>Settings>TV Settings>DTT signal Strength>Continue.

Browse a selection channels and then post both the strength % and the quality % of these channels on here.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Aspiring Contributor
daveoflynn1

ermm no, not exactly

When the aerial is plugged into the tv and i watch the tv's own digital tuner - great sound and vision

when the aerial is plugged into the bt vision box then i can only watch bt vision and not my tv's digital tuner

and the pictures and sound varies in quality.

I sometimes get a message " freeview signal not strong enough" and this is after having a digital heavy duty aerial isntalled on the roof, with its own booster. But the aerail was instrealled a year ago and the problem has only started in the past week

And this message has only started appearing at the same time as my not being able to watch channels on my  digital tv with itw own tuner while attached to the BT vision box. I am not in an area where DSO happens until next year. Confusing isnt it

Aspiring Contributor
daveoflynn1

as for the signal strength

all of the channels are between 60 and 70% and all have 100% quality (although looking at the scheduling I think that is surely not correct - I thank you)

Aspiring Contributor
acthedruid

Hi, My suggestion is to take the 2 aerial leads out of the back of the BT Vision box, connect them together and then try your TV. This will prove that both your aerial leads are OK. If the TV is OK then it would seem that your BT Vision box is faulty. Ring up and report it.

Andrew.

Aspiring Contributor
daveoflynn1

thanks Andrew- v helpful and I had already done that but thanks for the suggestion- everything talks to everything else using the cables I have

Anyone else suggest anything else? There was a Police album called Ghosts in the Machine...