cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adamboatman
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Somehow I was charged £1.79 for a two second call to this number. Ok no big deal, but this equates to £3,200 per hour.  How can this be?? 

8 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: 9135980130

looks like scam call  plenty if you google

did you click reply hence the conenction time ?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Adamboatman
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Possibly someone here returned a missed call. It’s just that BT is complicit in enabling a scam?? Annoyingly.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

there is nothing BT can do about it

report it here  https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Report-a-Scam-call/m-p/1901807

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Adamboatman
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, I’ve reported it. My problem is BT have passed my money on to scammers and all the time they do that the more scammers will scam more people??

Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

@Adamboatmanwrote:

Thanks, I’ve reported it. My problem is BT have passed my money on to scammers and all the time they do that the more scammers will scam more people??

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The number (prefixed with 0) is an sc079 rate and is £2 per minute, with £2 for the first minute - even for a split second. There will also be an added service access cost. The rate includes VAT.

PhonePayPlus deal with these numbers, and I believe were supposed to withhold any payement to the "companies" using these numbers in case they are parts of scams.

BT haven't passed money onto scammers, BT are simply a carrier for the calls.

Adamboatman
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

These was no (0) showing on the bill. However you are suggesting BT keep the £1.79 which is equally wrong, they shouldn’t benefit either. Surely BT could simply block these numbers?

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

@Adamboatman wrote:

BT have passed my money on to scammers and all the time they do that the more scammers will scam more people??

Many would say that people who respond in any way to scam calls give the scammers all the encouragement they need.

A little internet research indicates that the number (prefixed with 0) was allocated to an advertising agency in Huddersfield which was dissolved in April 2018. It might be worth reporting your issue to the PSA.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Adamboatman
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thanks, I've added a report.