cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DamienF
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

BT.com is infected by malware!

Firstly, Thank you BT for the stupid price rise and thank you for almost infecting my tablet with malware. (Thank god for mobile antivirus!)

I really do hope your greed comes back to bite you in the backside BT.

Thought it was just a false report but the desktop site says the same.

Mobile report: http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/ww-en/mobile/website-safety-reports/domain/www.bt.com/details/?utm_sour...

Desktop report: http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/ww-en/website-safety-reports/domain/bt.com/

24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT.com is infected by malware!

those links are 4 years old way out of date
DamienF
Beginner
Message 3 of 25

Past 4 years? Make that past 30 days. The first is likely a false flag but the second and third are not.

#

The site clearly states the date of detection.

During the last 7 days potentially active malware was detected on this website and during the last 30 days on a subdomain.

Also, Why would AVG detect it the moment I load BT.com and show me this?

The malware is clearly coming from the adverts you have on site meaning until safe you should remove them.

The risk is far greater to mobile users as that's where most of the major infections are attacking.

Due to BT's lack of care I am reporting this to others.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

.... or as is more likely, you are getting a false positive. If you check it out on other Antivirus Manufacturers websites it come up OK.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 25

1./ Do you update Java regularly on your pc?

2./ There was a recent scare re Flash Player. My own security app gave a long winded warning to say that the pc was protected. Also unless you are sharp, Flash player tries to change your default browser.

3./ There's a current scare re Android phones, but there's little detailed information as to which models and Android versions are affected.

4./ Windows 10 EDGE is not recommended by my security app.

and so on, and so on......

DamienF
Beginner
Message 6 of 25

If there was a chance BT was infected it should be checked. And other sites do warn that BT.com is likely infected.

Like I said above, It's likely coming from those adverts on the main page which happens often.

If it was a false postive it would be 1 thing but in this case there is multiple.

Android infections:

Android/deng

Android_ctl

Android_dc

android/airpush

android/generic

That's 5 alone there.

Then for Desktop there was 3, Phishing page is as you say likely a false positve and JavaScript Obfuscation is just how BT coded the site. The other JS/Worm is very likely caused by infected ads BT.com is serving.

You don't seem to understand that the adverts change on each page load and over a 100 different adverts can show in minutes to different users, rogue adverts that cause malicious activity change all the time so this second it can be clear but in 5 minutes time a visitor could be infected.

Going back to the desktop report it clearly shows this,

Clearly showing that BT.com is serving infected adverts meaning BT needs to stop being stubborn and remove the adverts until the malicious one's are sorted.

That's if BT still cares about the visitors safety online.

You do know people who aim to cause harm keep it as stealthy as possible? that means you wouldn't know until it's too late. Antivirus programs take time to detect and never give 100% protection.

I happen to run a whole network of my own sites so I know how this sort of thing works. I'm not some random clueless internet user.

DamienF
Beginner
Message 7 of 25

Sorry you replied while I was still typing my other.

1, Java is nothing but a security hole and I don't install it ever.
2, My Flash is updated within hours of the update coming out across all my systems.
3, That is related to MMS messages I believe. (Unless there's another)
4, Windows 10 sucks and I only use Windows 7/OSX fully updated.

I'm always helping people out with security issues so I would call myself pretty advanced at this stuff.

BT needs to check it out simple. They use Google Adsense, bad adverts always come up meaning BT needs to check it's settings.
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 25

@DamienF wrote:
Sorry you replied while I was still typing my other.

1, Java is nothing but a security hole and I don't install it ever.
2, My Flash is updated within hours of the update coming out across all my systems.
3, That is related to MMS messages I believe. (Unless there's another)
4, Windows 10 sucks and I only use Windows 7/OSX fully updated.

I'm always helping people out with security issues so I would call myself pretty advanced at this stuff.

BT needs to check it out simple. They useGoogleAdsense, bad adverts always come up meaningBT needs to check it's settings.

Hold your breath. It's very, very, fast, once you have it setup and tidied up.

DamienF
Beginner
Message 9 of 25

Sadly the GUI is the issue. I cannot use "basic" stuff without getting headaches. Same applies to the modern website designs. I simply cannot use those sites.

That and the privacy of Windows 10 isn't the same as 7 with the constant reports and all information being stored on other systems you have no control over. Then there's the fact you cannot control the updates meaning a bad update can screw your system up. There's also the auto driver updates which you cannot control unless you pay for the Enterprise version of Windows 10. There's already people complaining their systems are broken due to forced driver updates.

Then there's the proposed bloatware like Candy Crush being preinstalled, Rumors that the start menu will begin showing adverts and the lock screen. Something Microsoft done to Xbox Live and then changed their mind putting adverts on it.

I take my privacy and security seriously and sadly Windows 10 put me off the moment I saw the GUI.

Same as I have been put off by BT.com serving up Malware infected adverts and those price rises.

(Added a few links of interest for Windows 10 users.)

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 25

Wait for a few weeks, perhaps. No problem with drivers here, and was even given the option to download from manufacturers.
(Last minute fix probably).
The information out there on the web is sometimes misleading.
Someone has to try it, at least.
There's always the option to revert to Windows 7, even even if it means restoring a system image as a last resort.