cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Btinternet.com email address

I have just been informed by my credit card company that they are no longer accepting my email address on my credit card account.  As a result, I have no online access.  They recommend I update to this to a "modern email account such as hotmail or gmail".

Can BT explain to me why there should be an issue with btinternet.com email address?  Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Btinternet.com email address

It would be up to your credit card company to explain why they are not accepting a BT email address not the other way round. You could also point out to them that you can no longer get a "Hotmail" email address. Microsoft changed the then name to "Outlook.com" a few years back.

Are you 100% sure that you have not received a scam email trying to get access to your credit card. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

I've had this a few times in the past when signing up for things, they won't let me use btinternet.com as a valid address.

Live.com / GMail/ Yahoo (ironically) etc seem fine

I don't even bother with my btinternet address now, it's used as my BTID and as a secondary e-mail for security.  Maybe it's because people can loose it when swapping providers ?

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Thank you for your reply.

I spoke with the credit card company today as i couldn't access my online account and password reset emails where not coming into my inbox/spam folder.  I would never act upon an email. They just said I should have a newer email account.  

if there is nothing wrong with my email address then my easiest option is to change credit card.

Regards.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks.

The credit card company explained btinternet.com is not a modern email account and therefore no longer accepted.  I have come to this forum for help.  If there is an issue with btinternet.com, I need someone from BT to explain to me as it will affect many of my online accounts.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Who ever told you that about BT email obviously does not know what they are talking about. I would seriously be concerned about anything that person told me about anything!! 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Wonder if the bank means an email account with 2 factor authentication. Strange terminology 'modern email' though.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@licquorice wrote:

Wonder if the bank means an email account with 2 factor authentication. Strange terminology 'modern email' though.

It may well be that, but the person at the credit card company should have explained what he meant by it not being a "modern email" when you consider there are about 4.5 million BT email accounts and only recently BT announced yet another update to the service.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/We-re-updating-BT-Email/td-p/2005956