cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cnoceisgan
Message 1 of 7

Call barring?

Can anyone help? I have a very remote cottage that I rent out in the Hebrides. I have a phone there in case of emergency, so people can call 999. Is there any way of barring outgoing calls to other numbers. Its not normally a problem but every now and then someone decides to spend a week calling everyone in their phone book! 

Ideally it would be some way of switching between restricted and "normal" so we can use the phone when we are there? In the good ole days there used to be codes to type in? Does this still happen? Cheers

6 REPLIES 6
Linda_Smith
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Call barring?

You can get hardware to do this - a physical keylock device on the master socket, through which the connection runs, and the connected phone can only be used for incoming calls, or 999 calls. I can probably find out a manufacturer as I know someone who uses one. If you were using the property yourself you could then unlock the device and remove it.

You can also set up a fair amount of specific types of "call barring" on call features via the Your account pages on bt.com https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerOrders/control/product - depending on what other features you want that might cost a small amount per month.

My broadband secrets and tips
cnoceisgan
Message 3 of 7

keylock thing sounds good, if you could let me know who makes them that would be great!

Timw1
Message 4 of 7

We also have a rental property and used to use those nice people at Plusnet. They only give you so much call credit at a time but email when it's running low.
Now we've just signed up to BT and were expecting a similar arrangement. But cynical old BT have no limit except on their mobile scheme where they are legally obliged to have a £100 maximum. If your guests chose to ring the talking clock in China and then left the phone off the hook you would be stuck with a gigantic bill that greedy BT would chase you for.

BT will sell you call barring but they don't give customer care.

We'll probably cancel while in our cooling off period unless they can guarantee a maximum limit.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

I fail to see why "greedy BT" would not/should not chase you for payment of the bill if somebody abuses your phone however have you considered fitting a pay phone.

https://business.bt.com/products/voice/payphone-services/

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Relax. China doesn't have a speaking clock. The one in Singapore has a Chinese option but you probably can't call it from the UK.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Call barring is available as an option, its protected by a PIN number.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8474/~/all-about-call-barring%3F