cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dollyroberts
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Everybody should read this

I have been with BT for thirty years, and yes, I have had lots of problems, but even against my better judgement whenever I have moved, I've stuck with them. Not this time. After moving 6 weeks ago and having a faulty line, then no broadband, they sent an engineer. Lovely chap who plugged in my broadband and cut off my landline. So I was left with the crackly line (and still so) until he went off to the main box to sort it out. (Apparently BT have a code a practice that 60 lines have to be down before they can do anything and thankfully they had!) I don't know whether he is still there in the little box but roll on a couple of weeks when obviously I am decorating and have to rearrange everything. I know I'm not trained but I did notice that the cable was in the wrong point in the Hub? Sure it goes in there and bingo, internet on.

Bill arrives for £60 and yet we've had no services? Operator explains that I have to pay it but I will not pay next months. Err I don't think so? Several calls later I'm a Level 2 Complaint and waiting for a call from their Legal team about my refund. This happened four times and still no call.  New bill arrives for £148? I phone to complain and was told legal apartment will phone me at 6 o'clock. Silly me answers "...as long as you don't cut me off!"  The operator says... " Don't be silly, we wouldn't do that". Yes next day we are cut off. 

This is the important bit... I then receive several calls to pay my bill, which of course I refuse and put the phone down. Then I get a call from BT Open Reach who knew my details and told me that my broadband has been disconnected by mistake and if I give them access to my computer they can fix it. Obviously a scam...and obviously the people who work for BT are passing on our details to these companies. Has anybody else had this problem. Please contact me on ****EDITED**** as obvs BT have closed my emails also. Doesn't matter, I'm migrating anyway to a service that cares about their customers.

12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Everybody should read this

If you search the forum you will find other posts about scam calls. This is just one.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-com-Community-feedback/BT-Scam/td-p/1627599

Message 3 of 13

Hi @dollyroberts,

I'm sorry to hear about everything that has happened to you. I've removed your personal email address as this is a public forum where anyone world wide can see what you post.

Ideally, we need to look into everything for you and help you. The issue you mentioned is very serious. I'd like to report it to our security team to make sure nothing untoward has happened.

If you are prepared to give us one last chance, can you please click on my user name and then click on contact the mods? We'll get back in touch, over the next few days, and help you.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

@dollyroberts wrote:

I have been with BT for thirty years, and yes, I have had lots of problems, but even against my better judgement whenever I have moved, I've stuck with them. Not this time. After moving 6 weeks ago and having a faulty line, then no broadband, they sent an engineer. Lovely chap who plugged in my broadband and cut off my landline. So I was left with the crackly line (and still so) until he went off to the main box to sort it out. (Apparently BT have a code a practice that 60 lines have to be down before they can do anything and thankfully they had!) I don't know whether he is still there in the little box but roll on a couple of weeks when obviously I am decorating and have to rearrange everything. I know I'm not trained but I did notice that the cable was in the wrong point in the Hub? Sure it goes in there and bingo, internet on.

Bill arrives for £60 and yet we've had no services? Operator explains that I have to pay it but I will not pay next months. Err I don't think so? Several calls later I'm a Level 2 Complaint and waiting for a call from their Legal team about my refund. This happened four times and still no call.  New bill arrives for £148? I phone to complain and was told legal apartment will phone me at 6 o'clock. Silly me answers "...as long as you don't cut me off!"  The operator says... " Don't be silly, we wouldn't do that". Yes next day we are cut off. 

This is the important bit... I then receive several calls to pay my bill, which of course I refuse and put the phone down. Then I get a call from BT Open Reach who knew my details and told me that my broadband has been disconnected by mistake and if I give them access to my computer they can fix it. Obviously a scam...and obviously the people who work for BT are passing on our details to these companies. Has anybody else had this problem. Please contact me on ****EDITED**** as obvs BT have closed my emails also. Doesn't matter, I'm migrating anyway to a service that cares about their customers.

Sounds as if you're conflating two entirely seperate things.

Scammers call all sorts of people claiming to be Openreach or 'the broadband engineer'. The fact that you have a billing dispute is almost certainly wholly unconnected to the scam call. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

You are missing the point. He/she, like many others who have posted on the forum, received the scam call shortly after he had been in contact with BT.

4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

@gg30340 wrote:

You are missing the point. He/she, like many others who have posted on the forum, received the scam call shortly after he had been in contact with BT.

Given the sheer number of customers BT has, the vast majority of whom contact them by phone, the fact most people with broadband in the UK use the OR network and the rising commonality of these calls, it can just be sheer co-incidence.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

@4KMarty wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

Given the sheer number of customers BT has, the vast majority of whom contact them by phone, the fact most people with broadband in the UK use the OR network and the rising commonality of these calls, it can just be sheer co-incidence.

Of course, scammers will hit a coincidence now and then if they have enough shots. But sheer numbers don't explain the uncomfortable number of occasions reported when the scammer has had the target's BT account details shortly after the target has called the helpdesk with a problem. My guess is that BT have privately recognised the problem and it's a factor in the decision to bring customer services back to the UK (a decision, incidently, which was announced nearly a year ago with no update since that I've noticed). 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

@4KMarty wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

If you are happy to believe in "sheer co-incidence" then go ahead but given the number of people that have reported never having received any form of call, scam or otherwise from "BT", until shortly after they had contacted BT Customer Service and that the scammer was aware that the customer had recently been in contact with BT does not point to "sheer co-incidence" in my mind. 

I suggest you read through ALL the posts about the scam calls that have been posted on the forum before suggesting that it "can just be sheer co-incidence".

However, at the end of the day I suspect we will never know because even if BT do investigate the allegation properly they will never make their finding public because of the backlash/ litigation that could follow. 

4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

@gg30340 wrote:
 I suggest you read through ALL the posts about the scam calls that have been posted on the forum before suggesting that it "can just be sheer co-incidence".

These are evidence-free assumptions, and it's legally very iffy of you to suggest that BT would embark on a deliberate cover-up of a major security leak.

As a "distinguised" "community leader" you should know better. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

I think you may find that evidence from a credible person that they received  a scam call after having made a call to Customers Services is not an assumption. That is called a fact.

Unless I have missed it somewhere I don't recall saying "BT would embark on a deliberate cover-up of a major security leak" and even if I did it is not "legally very iffy" unless of course as a "Contributor" you know differently.

Any way just you carry on and believe that it is just a sheer co-incidence if it makes you happy and as a "distinguished" "community leader"   I'll happily carry on believing it is not a coincidence. That is after all what people are allowed to do in a free country.

I would be interested to hear why you mentioned this rubbish "As a "distinguised" "community leader" you should know better." Does that mean I should not have my own opinions or only praise BT?