cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 14

Forum posting guidance

There is disagreement in the community regarding how issues should be posted.

In a current thread Keith Beddoe posted:

"

There is an historic issue on this forum, where multiple threads are created, all related to the same issue.

Sometimes this happens where people have not bothered to do a forum search first.
This results in the same questions being answered again, and the answers being spread all over the board.

Keeping all of the questions and answers relating to the same problem, on on thread, reduces this problem, and encourages people to read the whole thread, and look for solutions.

The main threads relating to the current e-mail and migration issues are these.
BT mail is live
Keep logged in to email
e-mails being rejected
Format of new home page

I think you will find that the regular contributors of these forums, would prefer to direct people to one of the existing threads, sooner than answer the same questions over and over."

Surely the community guidelines imply one topic per thread.

It would help if moderators would advise posters on editing subjects to be more appropriate to the issue.

It would help, as already been suggested, if Solved threads were locked, and could only be unlocked by the original author.

Threads should not be merged unless with the approval of the original author(s).

Surely it is better to have a debate about this in this section of the community rather than hijack yet another thread.

13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Forum posting guidance

Remember this thread http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision/NEW-VISION-BOX-UPDATE-IS-USELESS/m-p/690822/highlight/true#M392...

There were so many different complaints about the same thing, that a number of regular BT Vision board contributors complained, so the threads were merged, so that every new person could read about all of the issues in one place.

Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 14

A community member is encouraged to use the search facility first before creating their thread.

Yes, community members are also encouraged to create their own thread if the issue they are experiencing is personal to them or if it is broadband/situation problem where the environment and circumstances differ from each other and therefore are unique to them. 

As Keith has said, posts of an ongoing topic/case of a situation that is similar or identical to each other and has the same/similar inputs and outputs, these posts are merged together to prevent loads of threads of one certain/similar ongoing case/situation being created which could cause confusion.

This also helps keep track of an ongoing issue/situation.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

@jac_95 wrote:

A community member is encouraged to use the search facility first before creating their thread.

This relies on Subject Lines being relevant to the issue. Many are not and should be updated in a controlled fashion.

Also editing of subject lines by posters other than the OP and possibly moderators should be prohibited.

Yes, community members are also encouraged to create their own thread if the issue they are experiencing is personal to them or if it is broadband/situation problem where the environment and circumstances differ from each other and therefore are unique to them. 

This assumes that posters are sufficiently competent to recognise that their issue is the same. In  a significant number of cases it is not and this leads to even more confusion. It is better that the default is  every poster with a problem raises a new thread and it is up to posters solving the problem to reference relevant  threads if they could possibly be the solution

As Keith has said, posts of an ongoing topic/case of a situation that is similar or identical to each other and has the same/similar inputs and outputs, these posts are merged together to prevent loads of threads of one certain/similar ongoing case/situation being created which could cause confusion.

I disagree. I am confused by merged threads and less experienced contributors may also be. It is also noticeable that for some individual problems moderator involvement only takes place on a 1 to 1 basis.

This also helps keep track of an ongoing issue/situation.

We need a mechanism so users can indicate "I have this Problem also"  without either raising a new thread or contributing to an existing one (unless of course they have something useful to say)

Cheers

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

I agree with Keith and Jac_95

Most if not all of the recent posts about the email and home page are complaining about the same or similar thing and are related to the same issue, the migration of email and the new BT Homepage.

It is not unique to an individual, it is a network wide problem so I feel it would be counter productive to repeat the same answer time and time again when the answer or an attempt at the answer has already been given.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

I have merged quite a few threads, to avoid the inevitable mess that has happened in the past. Its easy to simply ask the person to read from the start of the thread, as see if their question is answered.

edit:I notice other CLs have done the same thing, judging by the index numbers.

As I have said, there are a number of "main" threads, which cover the issues raised, and the mods are aware. My link titles are just for convenience. Most new posts fall into one of these categories.

BT mail is live

Keep logged in to email

e-mails being rejected

Format of new home page

Announcement from BT

vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

@gg30340 wrote:

I agree with Keith and Jac_95

Most if not all of the recent posts about the email and home page are complaining about the same or similar thing and are related to the same issue, the migration of email and the new BT Homepage.

It is not unique to an individual, it is a network wide problem so I feel it would be counter productive to repeat the same answer time and time again when the answer or an attempt at the answer has already been given.

1.  The email posts may be related but have several distinct strands eg emails from Virgin Media, Failure to deliver etc. This is a classic illustration of where the strands should be kept separate and not merged.

2. Yes it is important to distinguish between individual problems and issues that affect or potentially affect all users.

However there is no need to give the same answer time and time again.  You cannot control what users post so if there is a universal answer it is far better to have a Locked Solved thread that all posters can be pointed at.

For example there are recurring posts about the Broadband usage monitor.  Posters on this should be pointed at a clear description of how to check the monitor against the Home Hub usage data with a clear recommendation that if they find a discrepancy to report back. 

3. The forums should be geared in the main towards solving users problems not for the  benefit of CLs.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

@vofsanity2 wrote:

Keeping in mind that there is as yet no definitive fix for any of the problems that we are talking about and most of the replies from what ever source are offering opinions or suggestions rather than solutions.

1.  The email posts may be related but have several distinct strands eg emails from Virgin Media, Failure to deliver etc. This is a classic illustration of where the strands should be kept separate and not merged.

In this instance are they a) not all stemming from the same problem (email migration) b) who decides what strand they relate to or do you envisage every poster has a separate post and they get an individual answer for their problem even although it may be the same answer for other posters. c) what is to stop posters from posting into somebody elses post as they do now. How is it to be managed?

2. Yes it is important to distinguish between individual problems and issues that affect or potentially affect all users.

However there is no need to give the same answer time and time again.  You cannot control what users post so if there is a universal answer it is far better to have a Locked Solved thread that all posters can be pointed at.

At the moment, as far as I can see, there is not a universal answer or a solved thread to lock and who decides when it should be locked. At present as you know it is the OP who marks it as solved, and it is rare for them to do that even when it is clearly solved?

For example there are recurring posts about the Broadband usage monitor.  Posters on this should be pointed at a clear description of how to check the monitor against the Home Hub usage data with a clear recommendation that if they find a discrepancy to report back. 

3. The forums should be geared in the main towards solving users problems not for the  benefit of CLs.

I think what you are inferring in that is wrong but I agree the purpose of the forum is to help all posters.

vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 14

Let us agree that the present situation is unsatisfactory and needs to be managed better.

Not being able to lock threads when solved should be an easy fix and be helpful.

At the moment there is little point in marking something as solved so it is little wonder posters do not do it.

Several good ideas are submitted but none seem to be acted upon or even responded to.

With a little dedicated effort things could be easily improved.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

you can add your vote here  http://community.bt.com/t5/Ideas-Bank/Marking-a-thread-as-solved-should-lock-the-thread/idi-p/614566

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.