cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjmwright
Message 1 of 7

I am getting phone calls claiming my BT Internet is going to be cut off unless I press '1' - Spam?

I am getting calls - usually using an electronic voice recording with a foreign accent - claiming that my BT Internet is going to be cut off unless I press '1' to discuss the matter with a technician.  I have assumed these are spam calls hoping to get hold of my computer, but are they real?  I thought I had better check with BT.

Robin

6 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: I am getting phone calls claiming my BT Internet is going to be cut off unless I press '1' - Sp

It is spam/phishing call. BT would not call you to tell you that plus if you think about it if you have had the call more than once why has your Internet not been cut off yet? Just hang up as soon as you get one. 

george189
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Re: I am getting phone calls claiming my BT Internet is going to be cut off unless I press '1' - Sp

george189
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Have had heaps of these automated calls in the last year, originally in American accents but now in all sorts of accents, presumably as more scammers try their luck.  I presumed you go onto a premium rate number if you press 1 but have never done so. Just hang up.

Message 5 of 7

Hi guys,

I agree.  This sounds like a blatant scam/phishing attempt.  You can never be too careful these days.  Thanks for being so vigilant folks.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

It is a scam, and hanging up and just ignoring it is the best policy, but the 'dial 1', is more to do with the set up of the scam, the auto diallers will make many more calls than they have 'staff', so by getting a machine to make the call , and only connecting to the 'staff' those answered calls that have pressed '1' , is more efficient ( from the scammers point of view ) and the scammers 'staff' only deal with those people who are potentially easy to manipulate , i.e , those who think the call is genuine , so have pressed '1'.

TBH , it wouldn't cost anything to dial '1' , apart from opening yourself up to the scammers pressure to get to you to install software/malware  or whatever they try and get you to do.

george189
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

You're probably right on that one.  I receive so many scam calls and unsolicited sales calls despite using blocking systems that when I answer the phone and say "hello" and there is silence I hang up.  I've warned friends and family to reply immediately to my 'hello' otherwise they'll be hung up on.  It sieves out the automatic diallers as they're usually looking up their list to see the name of the potential sucker they've hooked on the line.