cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nolove2shopvoucher
Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: I’m worried that BT may assist the NSA and GCHQ to have full control of our computers & smar

As I understand it the hack is within the router not the modem. Also the HH5 contains combined modem and router.

The point seems to be that NSA/GCHQ in addition to gathering what travells through the internet can retrieve and can modify the content of your LAN/WLAN connected equipment and take control of such.

Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 17

Re: I’m worried that BT may assist the NSA and GCHQ to have full control of our computers & smar

The original article referred to the white Openreach modem, in the days when it was used with the Home Hub 3 or 4.

I have never heard of a case where someone has discovered government agencies snooping on their home network, when using BT-supplied equipment.  That doesn't mean it has never happened, but there are quite a lot of security-aware people out there, and it would only take one person to spot it.

You could buy a third-party router, but you would have to trust that the firmware on that is not compromised.  The only alternative would be to build your own router using a machine with several ethernet sockets, and install an open-source software solution (probably using some variant of BSD or Linux).

nolove2shopvoucher
Contributor
Message 13 of 17

Please will you point me to the original article that referred to the white Openreach modem.

I do not believe that the exploitation is due to the modem firmware. Is it not in the router firmware?

Also I plan to have my original BT ISP's HH4 in the Militarized Zone facing the Internet and OpenWrt installed in my router in my DMZ facing my LAN/WLAN.

Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 17

The "Full Disclosure" contains an awful lot of waffle, but the Huawei HG612 (page 9) is one of the Openreach white modems.

In the diagram at the top of the "BT modems have NSA back-door" article, the white box is the modem, and the black box is the router (Home Hub).

nolove2shopvoucher
Contributor
Message 15 of 17

Sorry although the article that has the headline of http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/12/17/bt-back-door/1 refers to modems later stated in the body: is  'The NSA also attacks network devices directly: routers, switches, firewalls, ...'

In my opinion it is sloppy writing.

To support my contention that is is the router and not the modem that may be compromised it is clear from the copiuos writings about OpenWrt that OpenWrt firmware can be installed in the supplier's router to replace the suspect firmware.

Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 17

The trouble is that everything is just speculation.  I've been surprised over the years how Home Hubs seem to have been free of major security flaws, while other routers have problems reported regularly.

We know that BT have a remote administration route into the Home Hub that they can use to upgrade the firmware, and turn BT WiFi on and off.  So they could install any software they wanted at any time.

If you really care that much, the only safe alternative would be an open-source router.  You can't assume that any third-party commercial routers are free from security flaws.

nolove2shopvoucher
Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Yes I'm looking at OpenWrt and how to install it. Some routers need working on the internals but I'm looking for a router that I can install OpenWrt in without opening it up.