cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Debs1
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Identification of Newcastle technical complaints employee

I have a problem with my e mails and I got a call from someone on 08000285085.  He has been trying to help.  He also gave me number.......  I’ve had some suspicious activity on my account.  I called BT security and asked them to check whether these are actual BT phone numbers as the 0800 also says on line that it’s a scam.  BT security said they were real BT numbers but that I should to ask the employee for his EIN.  He refused saying he can’t give it for “security reasons” and that he is not allowed to give it.  So how do I verify that he is a legitimate employee?  Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Identification of Newcastle technical complaints employee

Did the person call out of the blue or was it in response to you calling BT Customer Help Line?

If the person will not supply his EIN then I would treat it as suspicious. Does he even know what an EIN is?

You could ask him to supply your full BT account number but that is not a full proof way of knowing that if he is a scammer that he has not been supplied those details.

On no account allow him remote access to your computer until you are 100% happy that he is genuine and even then I personally would not allow access.

Perhaps if you post exactly what your problem is some of the forum users will be able to help.

Debs1
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

He said that they aren’t allowed to give EIN anymore, but he could do high level validation when he phones back! What does that even mean?  I have a name

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

You could try phoning BT and ask them to check the notes on your account to see if any of their staff has contacted you at the times the person called.

Debs1
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Thanks

-Richie-
Expert
Message 6 of 11

Employees can't give out their employee number, even if they did you have no way to verify it, so no idea why security would ask you to take a note of it, they could tell you 123456789 and the info is useless to you.

High level validation would be to send a temp one time pin to the mobile number or email listed on your account, however that's used to verify customers, a scammer could send you a random number, so it can't be used to verify you're dealing with BT.

They can quote the last digits of your account number to prove they are BT or send you an email from an @bt.com email address.
If you're dealing with the technical complaints team, that means you have a complaint reference, which only BT employees would know, so that can also be provided to verify they are BT.

Debs1
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

I do have a number but couldn’t that be made up as well.  

-Richie-
Expert
Message 8 of 11

@Debs1wrote:

I do have a number but couldn’t that be made up as well.  

Within minutes of the complaint being raised the system sends a confirmation, which is usually an email unless you've requested letters, that reference number wouldn't of changed, surely you were expecting one if you've shown dissatisfaction ? so it's highly unlikely a scammer would send a complaint reference number, how would they know you've raised a complaint ?

Debs1
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

I sent an email to CEO then got a response from Newcastle technical complaints 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

So, you made a complaint to the Executive level team and they called you from what has been verified as a genuine BT number in response to that complaint. What were you expecting to happen? As @-Richie-  says, an EIN is of absolutely no use to you in any case, you have no way of verifying anything by having it.