cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gravy1
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Just a few questions

1. I notice some people have a blue box with a pink star and CL .... next to their name I was wondering what that represents.... is it customer liaison ?

2. Why do some people on forums including this one, actively chase thank you stars ? their signatures asking for the box to be ticked, I find it slightly rude to ask to be thanked. If it is staff who get a bonus, then that's fine.... If it's just a game then that is also fine, anything else could be worrying.

which leads nicely to question .....

3. should members have a limited amount of posts per day ? Over the years I've seen people on forums who have started out helpful and chatty become obsessed with chasing a "fix" of recognition via a leaderboard.

Their posts become less human, more minimal and usually a quick generic reply and move on to the next. They become to feel as though they're unpaid staff but putting in a shift each day for thank you's which are less forthcoming as their replies are less interaction and more automated. 

I appreciate anyone taking time to help out by imparting knowledge, especially in a friendly way.... However when the replies are generically pebbledashed across a forum on a daily basis with minimal input, I worry about the individual. A limitation would make them less introvert by increasing their interaction. More talk, fewer posts and a bit more time taken. Iteraction is far more healthy than an obsession to be number 1 and besides... you get more thank yous by being helpful while chatting than by repeating a statement over and over and saying NOW THANK ME!

Far too old and fat to be riding very fast motorcycles...... but I do.
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 2

Re: Just a few questions

@gravy1 wrote:

1. I notice some people have a blue box with a pink star and CL .... next to their name I was wondering what that represents.... is it customer liaison ?

(I don't see this as I block the CL bit out) - To answer your Q, they are the Community Leaders - http://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Terms/Community-Leader-Programme-update/td-p/753530

2. Why do some people on forums including this one, actively chase thank you stars ? their signatures asking for the box to be ticked, I find it slightly rude to ask to be thanked. If it is staff who get a bonus, then that's fine.... If it's just a game then that is also fine, anything else could be worrying.

I can't answer that one as I've never asked for a star - I'm not here for that reason. The only known Staff are the BT Forum Moderation Team (though there are some other Staff posting). Most, if not all of the others asking for Stars are customers (like you and me).

which leads nicely to question .....

3. should members have a limited amount of posts per day ? Over the years I've seen people on forums who have started out helpful and chatty become obsessed with chasing a "fix" of recognition via a leaderboard.

I'd take the leaderboard with a pinch of salt (IMHO). I certainly don't deserve to be up there, nor have 'distinguished guru' next to my ID.

Their posts become less human, more minimal and usually a quick generic reply and move on to the next. They become to feel as though they're unpaid staff but putting in a shift each day for thank you's which are less forthcoming as their replies are less interaction and more automated. 

The automation will be down to the number of repetitive posts seen across these forums. Many issues could be solved by looking via the search facility - most of it has been answered before.

I appreciate anyone taking time to help out by imparting knowledge, especially in a friendly way.... However when the replies are generically pebbledashed across a forum on a daily basis with minimal input, I worry about the individual. A limitation would make them less introvert by increasing their interaction. More talk, fewer posts and a bit more time taken. Iteraction is far more healthy than an obsession to be number 1 and besides... you get more thank yous by being helpful while chatting than by repeating a statement over and over and saying NOW THANK ME!

Again, it's the nature of these forums - most has been answered.

Most of us are here to help. If nobody was around, there would be a lot of issues that weren't sorted, plus if nobody was here to help, these thriving forums would die off (IMHO)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-