Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Hawq
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Just had an automated 'disconnetion' scam

Not a random Indian chap this time it was an automated message saying something along the lines of 'hit 1 speack to someone/cancell the cancellation of service" (something along those lines) or "2 to cancel" as a guy thats been online for some time I recognise this is rubbbish & took note of the number on the phone 01209226932 I can see some people automatically believing it however so be on the look out

4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Just had an automated 'disconnetion' scam

This is a recent very common industry wide scam.

The number is not the one they called from, it has been spoofed using VoIP systems. Nothing can be currently done about it - unless people stop responding and falling for this scam.

The problem is people are effectively being scared into responding - which is what the scammers are relying on.

David54
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Happened to me this week. Since we’ve just dropped BT as broadband supplier, I’m afraid I pressed the appropriate button. I’m expecting a charge on my bill.....

Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

@David54wrote:

Happened to me this week. Since we’ve just dropped BT as broadband supplier, I’m afraid I pressed the appropriate button. I’m expecting a charge on my bill.....

What sort of charge are you expecting? Why do you think there would be a charge?

Message 5 of 5

I just had another version of the call supposedly from BT (01214 046292 , spoofed from 'Birmingham' ) , threatening to cut off my internet connection immediately unless I press 1 to speak to a technician, or 2 to complete the ‘termination process’. This time, an older male automated voice, speaking with a very stilted English accent . I don't have my broadband from BT.  Number blocked.