Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
COMPANY-PENSIONER
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Masquerading as BT SHOP Phishing Scam

FYI. Hi there.

Sorry, no screen dumps, too dangerous !

My webmail offered me a BT SHOP order, of a gifted £600 I-phone to a 'name'.

1. The url under BT SHOP wasn't BT SHOP.

2. The 'Cancel Immediately' wasn't a BT SHOP url.

3. I have no account with BT SHOP.

4. Obviously a scam.

5. JUST DELETE THE EMAIL !

At a guess, the 'Cancel Immediately' would require your card details. DON'T GO THERE !

Watching for any fraudulent card activity.

Best regards. COMPANY-PENSIONER
[ Cynicism is my middle name. Strange, it appears nowhere on my Birth Certificate ]

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Masquerading as BT SHOP Phishing Scam

@COMPANY-PENSIONER wrote:

FYI. Hi there.

Sorry, no screen dumps, too dangerous !

My webmail offered me a BT SHOP order, of a gifted £600 I-phone to a 'name'.

1. The url under BT SHOP wasn't BT SHOP.

2. The 'Cancel Immediately' wasn't a BT SHOP url.

3. I have no account with BT SHOP.

4. Obviously a scam.

5. JUST DELETE THE EMAIL !

At a guess, the 'Cancel Immediately' would require your card details. DON'T GO THERE !

Watching for any fraudulent card activity.

Best regards. COMPANY-PENSIONER
[ Cynicism is my middle name. Strange, it appears nowhere on my Birth Certificate ]

You should report it to BT as a scam, if you still have the mail in the spam or deleted items folder.

If you go into the BT Help section, you will be given instructions.

If you need help, Forum members will give you a link.

COMPANY-PENSIONER
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Ribblelancs wrote:

You should report it to BT as a scam, if you still have the mail in the spam or deleted items folder.

Hi there.

I exclusively use webmail. 'Images', "Ask Me, Everytime".

When a dodgy email appears in my 'INBOX'. I run through my own procedure, as follows.

1. Be a pragmatist.

2. Sit on your hands, conjure up a response. React slowly, and purposely. Don't panic.

3. In the 'check-box' of the suspect email, place the cursor and check the box. No email appears to the right. 'Check' around the 'check-box', the email appears on the right. Not perfect, not unrecoverable. You don't really want to see the email at all.

4. Certain tools now appear. Select 'Actions - Create a Rule'.

5. The 'Create a Rule' box will indicate the origin of the email. "Make a Rule, as required".

6. Delete the email, never to be seen again ?

7. I, 'Copy & Paste' the origin address into 'Settings - Mail - Blocked Senders'. 2B Sure, 2b Sure.
What my process does is, interrogates the 'dodgy email', without ever seeing it, or opening it, on the screen.

As to informing BT, I thought this forum facilitated that function.
As to the 'dodgy email'. In and out, without touching the sides ?

Job done ! Regards. C - P.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 10

@Ribblelancs wrote:

Hi there.

I exclusively use webmail. 'Images', "Ask Me, Everytime".

When a dodgy email appears in my 'INBOX'. I run through my own procedure, as follows.

1. Be a pragmatist.

2. Sit on your hands, conjure up a response. React slowly, and purposely. Don't panic.

3. In the 'check-box' of the suspect email, place the cursor and check the box. No email appears to the right. 'Check' around the 'check-box', the email appears on the right. Not perfect, not unrecoverable. You don't really want to see the email at all.

4. Certain tools now appear. Select 'Actions - Create a Rule'.

5. The 'Create a Rule' box will indicate the origin of the email. "Make a Rule, as required".

6. Delete the email, never to be seen again ?

7. I, 'Copy & Paste' the origin address into 'Settings - Mail - Blocked Senders'. 2B Sure, 2b Sure.
What my process does is, interrogates the 'dodgy email', without ever seeing it, or opening it, on the screen.

As to informing BT, I thought this forum facilitated that function.
As to the 'dodgy email'. In and out, without touching the sides ?

Job done ! Regards. C - P.

BT don't have the sender's url as you have quite rightly held it back.

BT can shut down or disable phishing scam websites which relate to BT accounts, as in the case you are reporting.

You can forward the mail to phishing@bt.com, and you can comment on why you think it's a scam (which it obviously is).

Then delete the mail.

I also use an email client and internet security software, which has anti spam features, - not the BT version, but theirs should have that feature.

COMPANY-PENSIONER
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

BT don't have the sender's url as you have quite rightly held it back.

BT can shut down or disable phishing scam websites which relate to BT accounts, as in the case you are reporting.

You can forward the mail to phishing@bt.com, and you can comment on why you think it's a scam (which it obviously is).

Then delete the mail.

I also use an email client and internet security software, which has anti spam features, - not the BT version, but theirs should have that feature.

Hi there.

The dodgy-email, and addresses are no longer available.

If I 'forward' any email, then, it opens in my browser. The whole point of 'my own process', is to exclude opening a dodgy-email. "Just don't click on anything", doesn't cut the mustard for me. Yes, that cynical.

On a wider subject of email. I stopped using a 'client', because the webmail variant was always available to the browser. Double jeopardy, double trouble. So, I utilise one system to action my email. "So, I can only be got, once", if at all.

I believe the WWW is a truly dangerous place, and to be approached with the utmost caution.

'Caveat Emptor', and all that stuff.

Nil illegitimi carborundum. C-P.

COMPANY-PENSIONER
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

Hi there.

Final thought.
Expect to be scammed, sometime; as sophistication chimes in.

Just, be on the alert, and make it, as less painful, as possible.

Be Safe Out There !

Best regards. C-P [ Nil illegitimi carborundum ].

I'm no great aficionado of Cyber Space. No, FACEBOOK, no GAMES, no SMART PHONE, no SMART TV, no TABLET, no TWITTER. I travel light, embracing the extreme minimum reaches of SOCIAL NETWORKING. What I do possess is a grasp of hands-on chip technology, from 8-bit onwards; dating back before ACORN ATOM, BBC MICRO, COMMODORE-64, ZX-Spectrum, and the birth of the Domestic Internet. I cast no shadow, and leave no footprint on the firmament of the e-Galaxy. My "Disk Activity LED" has more use of my PC, than I do.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 10

Hi there.

Final thought.
Expect to be scammed, sometime; as sophistication chimes in.

Just, be on the alert, and make it, as less painful, as possible.

Be Safe Out There !

Best regards. C-P [ Nil illegitimi carborundum ].

I'm no great aficionado of Cyber Space. No, FACEBOOK, no GAMES, no SMART PHONE, no SMART TV, no TABLET, no TWITTER. I travel light, embracing the extreme minimum reaches of SOCIAL NETWORKING. What I do possess is a grasp of hands-on chip technology, from 8-bit onwards; dating back before ACORN ATOM, BBC MICRO, COMMODORE-64, ZX-Spectrum, and the birth of the Domestic Internet. I cast no shadow, and leave no footprint on the firmament of the e-Galaxy. My "Disk Activity LED" has more use of my PC, than I do.

Slightly off topic, but your footnote is interesting. Smiley LOL

Sinclair produced the first low cost electronic calculator, to compete with the HP calculator. One version of the HP, with it's magnetic strip memory, was widely in use in engineering design environments.

But.....have you ever seen an abacus in use?

It's a predecessor to today's computers, and a remarkably versatile piece of equipment. It takes some understanding however.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Don't forget to put tin foil around your head to keep out all the cyber cosmic waves that may penetrate your air space.

COMPANY-PENSIONER
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

@gg30340 wrote:

Don't forget to put tin foil around your head to keep out all the cyber cosmic waves that may penetrate your air space.

Hi gg30340.

I take that remark as a 'TROLLING'. It means I've finally arrived in cyberspace, and departed in the same dimension.
A 'TROLLING', an accolade, not to be missed.

Now, I feel soiled, just like everyone else.

Regards. C - P.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

It was meant has humour in response to your posts and footer however you can take it how ever you want I don't really care!