cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PingMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Need to change BT ID...getting same error message every time

How do you change a BT ID to a different email address without getting an error message? I have been trying for several days now and continually get the following error (pic attached). The new email address I am using is a gmail address but I don't see why this is a problem. I enter the new BT ID, I then get an email to the new gmail address and when I click on the link it gives me the same result. I have done this on multiple occasions over the last week. Suggestions appreciated. Thank youCapture.JPGBT ID change issue

6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Need to change BT ID...getting same error message every time

PingMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

So tried again a few times as per the link, no success, same error message. Just tried it again using a different computer. Still the same error message. What do I need to try next, please?

Thank you.

PingMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Unfortunately it appears that no one can help. Which would be the best department within BT to contact?

Thanks

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Try the Account & Billing Live Chat

Live Chat

PingMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thanks, a nice idea, but it looks like they're a bit short staffed...Screenshot 2019-01-02 at 16.54.55.pngAnyway, I've found a workaround. So I'm changing to a gmail address for my BT id. I would set up an email for example xxx.xxx.xx+bt@gmail.com (the +bt bit is to distinguish it if I start getting spam following any sort of data breach or misuse). This seems acceptable when you enter it initially as it sends an email to that address with a link to verify. Unfortunately you then get the error message as above. I removed the +bt bit and it now works. Strange why the initial email suggests the + in the address is OK, but then doesn't actually allow it. 

Any ideas why? Thanks

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

It might be acceptable as a gmail address but the + sign will be an illegal character for a BTID user name.