cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
alanedge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Not a BT customer anymore, moved house, and still BT Parental Controls are an issue

Many months ago I dropped BT for Sky. We then moved house and have not used BT as the service provider. In trying to access sites such as CAMRA.org.uk I am getting a BT Parental Control block telling me I have Light Filters on. How can this happen when there are new people in our old house, we have not and do not use BT. I have tried the 'Indian Help Service' chat which in the end disconnected me! I use Firefox as my default browser but it also happens on Windows Edge. I use AVG as my anti virus, I have NEVER used Mcafee but I did run the Mcafee uninstaller as requested by aforesaid help site. I do not have any Mcafee left in any programs/apps.

I am now at a loss to move on. I have tested other sites that are related to alcohol and some work and others have the same response viz BT Parental Blocker blocks the sites.

I am not a BT customer, I do not use a BT router and so I am at a loss as to how this can occur. Please advise what it is I can do if you can?

4 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Not a BT customer anymore, moved house, and still BT Parental Controls are an issue

Welcome to this user forum.

As you are a Sky customer, you need to take up the issue with Sky, but it may be worth checking to see if you have been connected to BT due to an external network error, as Sky use their own network.

If you go to the website WhatismyIP, it should tell you who you are connected to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

VeteranISPUser
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Re: Not a BT customer anymore, moved house, and still BT Parental Controls are an issue

@alanedgewrote:

Many months ago I dropped BT for Sky. We then moved house and have not used BT as the service provider. In trying to access sites such as CAMRA.org.uk I am getting a BT Parental Control block telling me I have Light Filters on. How can this happen when there are new people in our old house, we have not and do not use BT. I have tried the 'Indian Help Service' chat which in the end disconnected me! I use Firefox as my default browser but it also happens on Windows Edge. I use AVG as my anti virus, I have NEVER used Mcafee but I did run the Mcafee uninstaller as requested by aforesaid help site. I do not have any Mcafee left in any programs/apps.

I am now at a loss to move on. I have tested other sites that are related to alcohol and some work and others have the same response viz BT Parental Blocker blocks the sites.

I am not a BT customer, I do not use a BT router and so I am at a loss as to how this can occur. Please advise what it is I can do if you can?

Hi @alanedge. It clearly cannot be BT blocking your sites as they are not your ISP. So that leaves some blocking software loaded on your PC. Perhaps some old BT software you have loaded in the past. I would review all the programs and apps and uninstall any possible candidates.

Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

@alanedgewrote:

This is a Sky issue (or are you saying that you see BT parental controls actually mentioned?)

It is turned on by default when you join Sky :-

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-broadband-shield-explained

Message 5 of 5

@alanedge the BT Parental controls are applied at network level and we can only apply these to BT broadband connections they are not related to any software or settings on your computer.

Are you sure it's a BT message you're getting? If it is can you do the check that keith has suggested to ensure that your IP shows that you're not a BT customer. 

The only time I can think that something like this could happen is if your line/broadband became crossed with a BT customers but that would mean your router would not work as its not set up to connect to BT broadband.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You