Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lincan49
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Nuisance phone calls

Hi I've been getting phone calls purporting to be from BT. Its a recorded message (different voices) telling me that my phone service and broadband are about to be disconnected unless I phone a certain number putting me through to ' BT'. My service never has been disconnected but I wonder whether other people have had these calls. I just hang up, I don't respond.
7 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Nuisance phone calls

Please see https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Call-from-0800-169-1608-scam/m-p/1902741#M61720

What number are the calls coming from?

Its most likely a scam, however BT do ask you to call them if there has been a request by somebody else, to take over your line. Do not press any buttons that are requested, simply put the phone down, wait five minutes, then call BT yourself

You can always ring BT on 0800 800 150 to check this out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

CrazyDaisy
Message 3 of 8

Hello

Yes all the time! Also calls about Braodband and my computer I have posted about them in fact here! Its very annoying and really it needs to be addressed, Its not fair on any of us! 

MikeTheGuru42
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I used to get these ( and many, many other scams, fake surveys and other junk calls) almost on an hourly basis.

Decided to bite the bullet when I was changing my phones - got BT Call Guardian and have NEVER had a single nuisance call since. Brilliant - if the caller is not on your caller list they have to announce themselves and these callers never do that. Also most of these calls are automated so cannot "announce" themselves anyway.

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
george189
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Most definitely a nuisance call.  Will come in all dialects from American to Indian English.     More recent ones say that your email location has been used in an attempt to hack a government website and they'll cut you off the internet if you don't reply.  Just ignore.

Message 6 of 8

May be it is a spam call and i would recommend that you must not share any of your financial details on the phone call. It might cause you some loss of money.

lincan49
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Ok thanks for the information. I'll definitely look into BT call guardian.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@lincan49 wrote:
Ok thanks for the information. I'll definitely look into BT call guardian.

Full range here https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/the-new-bt8600/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.