cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
magpieman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Phone call scam

I have just received an international phone call from a lady who said she was from the local internet exchange on behalf of BT, Virgin, TalkTalk etc., and everytime I switch on my computer there are corrupted files at the main server. She wanted me to log in to a website so that they could help me rectify this problem.

I asked her if she knew my BT account number because I was suspicious and she then became rather agressive and eventually hung up.

I am positive this was a scam, anyone else heard of it?

11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Phone call scam

Yep, its a scam, I have had a few and at times when I am bored I string them along, made it for 30 mins the other week.

Well as long as they are talking to me they are not ringing someone else, they normally have a broad Indian accent and call themselves bill smith or some equally British name.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

@magpieman wrote:

I have just received an international phone call from a lady who said she was from the local internet exchange on behalf of BT, Virgin, TalkTalk etc., and everytime I switch on my computer there are corrupted files at the main server. She wanted me to log in to a website so that they could help me rectify this problem.

I asked her if she knew my BT account number because I was suspicious and she then became rather agressive and eventually hung up.

I am positive this was a scam, anyone else heard of it?

Indeed this is a scam, and if I may be as bold to say a well known one. Sometimes they pretend to be Microsoft saying that the PC has a virus and tries to get the user to again login to a website. They have recently started pretending to be ISPs.
Typically they try to get the user to either login to a site (such as Teamviewer - a completely legitimate site) or download some software which enables them to login to your machine - with your consent, and then can either install some nasties or try to get personal details or other simlar items.
Like Dave, I try to string them along and have a bit of fun - however they are criminals and cause many people a lot of grief and worry, and doi cause some users problems.
You did the right thing to ask for some proper answers, and proved that they were scammers.
magpieman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Thanks guys, I was suspicious as I say but they were quite plausible and I can imagine they could catch some people out, they actually phoned the first time when I was out and luckily my wife told them to phone back later because she was busy and they did indeed phone back and got me.

Thanks for your help.

whitefalcon
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

what time did you receive the call? did you get the phone number? did you report to the authority?

Tags (1)
whitefalcon
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

got a call like that. the guy told me i got virus on my PC and it's sending alerts to Microsoft. but i've known this is a scam through http://www.callercenter.com. had i not known, i would have bought the trick. these people sound so real and professional. the man even had a slight urgency in his tone, sounds like he's worried about me and PC about to crash if the problem was not fixed. if he wasnt a scam artist, he could pass for an outstanding salesman!

Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Hi White falcon

As you say it is well known scam unfortunately as they operate outside the uk no action can be taken against them
All you can do is be alert and warn as many people as possible
magpieman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

@whitefalcon wrote:

what time did you receive the call? did you get the phone number? did you report to the authority?

Hi whitefalcon

It was around 4pm when I received the call. There was no phone number showing on the call, it just said "international" I have phoned BT to report the call but the call centre operator didn't seem to be much interested and just told me that BT wouldn't phone without using my name and quoting my account number etc.

Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

There is nothing that BT or any other provider can do about Scammers It is down to the individual to keep there wits about them and not fall for them the same applies to bank details and other personal data keep your wits about you
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

@magpieman wrote:

@whitefalcon wrote:

Hi whitefalcon

It was around 4pm when I received the call. There was no phone number showing on the call, it just said "international" I have phoned BT to report the call but the call centre operator didn't seem to be much interested and just told me that BT wouldn't phone without using my name and quoting my account number etc.

Hi again.

I'm afraid that there is virtually nothing BT can do about this. These scammers pretend to be legitimate people, and I have got details about what they try and get people to do (as I pretended to do all I was asked when I had one).

The call could be from anywhere, including internet calls etc. The originating number may not even be fully presented since not all countries have that facility, or can't be trusted to present the full number properly or completely.

The thing to do is either play along and do nothing, or just hang up. You could try asking them for a number to call them back on as you're about to go out.

You can say you use Linux or a Mac. You can ask them how they know that your computer was infected and how they associated your phone number with a problem. Ask them for exact details and give nothing away.

If you don't like playing games with these buffoons, then just hang up.