cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Phone call

Hi I just received a phone call from 01274689737 on my landline. (amended)

Said they were from BT and were phoning about my internet. I have been trying to organise an appointment with BT about my Halo but she didn't mention halo just my internet.  I never believe these phone calls and ask them who they are speaking to, which sometimes leads to some very rude / funny answers because they obviously have no idea who I am.  The thing that sort of got me wondering about this one though was that I asked her to tell me who she was speaking to, she wouldn't give me my name but said she would send me a text to my mobile and then I / she (can't remember which) could verify my account details when I had received the pin.   The text came through to my mobile on the same number as other BT messages I have received in the past. I did still terminate the call because I am suspicious of everybody, but are scammers able to link my mobile and landline and send me text messages using the same number as BT?

The other thing I noticed is previous messages from BT have said "Your Pin is.... you'll only be able to use it once" this message said "Your pin is .... you can only use it once". 

Just curious really. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Phone call

Assuming that you haven't made a typo there are too many digits in that number, indicating it's fictitious.

Message 3 of 6

Yes sorry too many 8s. But I did find another post which explained how they do it.
Message 4 of 6

That number - 01274689737 - has the same number of digits as my landline number, so it isn't necessarily fictitious
Message 5 of 6

@chrisjpwrote:
That number - 01274689737 - has the same number of digits as my landline number, so it isn't necessarily fictitious

It's been edited to correct the typo.

Message 6 of 6

The  scammer already knows  your email , which is almost certainly going to be your  BT  ID when logging onto ‘MyBT’ , clicking on the I’ve forgotten my logon details, sends a text message to the linked mobile number BT have for the account , so basically while speaking to you , they click on that link , and state something like ‘ to confirm I’m BT , I’ll send you a text ‘ , the person receives a text, it is  genuinely from BT but it’s not BT that have clicked, and the intended victim assumes the caller is genuine