cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 58

Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"

Go to solution

Today I took one phone call from a call centre in India and a second one with an American accented digitised voice saying that my Internet connection had been compromised. The second call which was from phone number 01246 384 682 said that my Internet connection "was going to be cut off within the next 24 to 48 hours". 

Are these calls genuine or not?

Please advise.

57 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 58

Re: Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"

Go to solution

No, they are not genuine.

Message 3 of 58

Re: Phone Calls saying that my Internet Connection is "Compromised"

Go to solution

Hi @bryantennant,

I've removed your personal information from your post as this is a public forum.

If there is a fault with your line we mainly rely on you telling us rather than the other way around. The calls you received do appear to have been scam calls. I'm sorry that you received them. You did the right thing in disconnecting the call. If you ever need help please feel free to post on the Community. Please make sure you don't include information that you wouldn't want shared with other people.

Alternatively; you can call BT on 0800800150 and go through to our billing or faults team for any questions.

We're here if you need us.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Bartde
Message 4 of 58

Go to solution

This scam is increasing I have had 3 or 4 calls saying they are from BT and that my internet was about to be switched off.  Most I ignore but the last time I accepted and was eventually put through to a technician who went through some gobblegook about why it was comprimised and that even though my internet supplier wasnt BT, BT had the ultimate responsibility to fix problems.  After asking me to do some basic things with the computer - like see what programs were running etc I was asked to go to ANYDESK.com.  Presumably this was to access my computer.  It was at this point that I started to question what was going on and they hung up.

Its a scary scam - many people will be succored in by it beware.

Brianfields
Beginner
Message 5 of 58

Go to solution

I had the same call today. As I'm on microwave internet I knew it was a scam. Who do I contact to report it. The displayed number is (44)  200 6270901

Brianfields
Beginner
Message 6 of 58

Go to solution

I had the same call today. As I'm on microwave internet I knew it was a scam. Who do I contact to report it. The displayed number is (44)  200 6270901

Brianfields
Beginner
Message 7 of 58

Go to solution

had the same call today. As I'm on microwave internet I knew it was a scam. Who do I contact to report it. The displayed number is (44)  200 6270901

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 58

Go to solution

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

RogerBest
Message 9 of 58

Go to solution

They are also using a veriety of mobile phone numbers. Suggest using Call Protect as and when they come in. R-

RogerBest
Message 10 of 58

Go to solution

They are also using mobile phone numbers, 07967228620 used with me just now. Suggest blocking with Call Protect if/when you get any of these. R-