cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
amalt
Message 1 of 10

Phone scam, BT Technical Department?

I just had an automated call (12.19) from "BT Technical Department", 0201 874 7953. Female automated voice said my "broadband has been compromised. To fix this problem press 1. For other providers press 2." I just hung up.

9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Phone scam, BT Technical Department?

typical scam call - there are numerous posts like yours on the forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Flossy744
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

@amaltwrote:

I just had an automated call (12.19) from "BT Technical Department", 0201 874 7953. Female automated voice said my "broadband has been compromised. To fix this problem press 1. For other providers press 2." I just hung up.

Yes, the guy told me he was from the technical department, he got to shouting at me when I refused to believe what he was saying.

I did 1471 and took the number down, not that that would be a real number, but I phoned BT being a new customer and they said it was a scam.

No way  would I have allowed remote access to my computer.

2 calls last week I had and it leaves you feeling quite unnerved.

Message 4 of 10

I highly recommend a phone with Call Guardian built in. I cannot remember how long since I have had one but certainly years I have not been disturbed by a single cold call. Hospital appointments etc. are always happy to announce themselves. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

BT will never call you to tell you you have a problem with your line/connection/computer etc etc.

Don't even enter into a dialogue with the caller, just hang up.

Karenpilcher
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Yes I keep getting the same call several times a week, I also just hang up, these people should be found and shut down, this is harassment 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Just report it, see this thread Reporting scam callers

A call blocking phone is also a help.

spinages24
Message 8 of 10

Just had a call from a fake number ("BT Technical Services") starting 0014, ludicrously claiming that my broadband was about to be cut off. Had the same call yesterday, blocked that number (using 1572), but of course they just use a different number next time.

I do feel, though, that BT should be able to do something about letting these sharks have access to their network in the first place. Where do these people get these fake numbers from, and who is issuing them and allowing them to use them? Makes you wonder.

elsanelson
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Apparently, caller-id spoofing is a legitimate business service, obviously to protect and serve businesses that a) want their calls answered, like collection agencies, and b) don't want to be held accountable by call recipients.  There are likely hundreds of companies that offer this service here and abroad.

Don't know why law enforcement stings can't be used to trace actual connections and prosecute scammers, and even if such prosecution is possible here, don't have a clue how the law differs abroad.

Questions in Parliament about our lovely privatised BT's failure to act beyond Call Protect, which is useless against spoofing?  I just reached my 100 limit on Call Protect blacklisting and must now delete numbers going back to 2017.

cannylad
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

I had the same call this morning - when I asked for their number so that I could call back and verify they were who they say they were the caller got agitated and eventually hung up. I think it is no coincidence that  I currently have a broadband fault and that I have an engineer visit due today. I suspect that someone at the call centre is passing on my details to the scammers!