cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Please Add A "Security" Section To BT Community

I would like to see a section for Security as am sure i am being hacked, but not sure where to ask or search for advice.

6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Re: Please Add A "Security" Section To BT Community

If you believe you have been hacked and want advice from the forum members you can post on this thread.

You will need to give some details such as:-

Why do you think you have been hacked or that somebody is attempting to hack you?

What has been hacked? Is it your home network or your email account or some other account such as your bank etc.

What if anything have you done to try and mitigate this possible hack?

CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

@gg30340wrote:

Why do you think you have been hacked or that somebody is attempting to hack you?

One day when I answered the phone I listened to synthesised voice which claimed to be from BT say, " we are disconnecting your internet connection.  Please press 1 to disconnect now or press 2 to disconnect later".    I just hung up and later that day my BT Smart Hub disconnected from internet.    

I did a factory reset to help reduce the chances of anything being put on the Hub itself, I have also enabled BT landline features which can help me blacklist numbers and identify caller   I also leave all calls to go to answering machine and simply do not pick up until I recognise voice, as caller ID on my phone only show after caller has hung up as "new call"

I have reason to believe my personal privacy is being totally disrespected, and is related to the new IP system and me not using VPN at all, I think but have literally not been using the internet at all last few days.

Am asking advice but really think how I have been using the internet is really the problem, which is mostly for cloud gaming services and accessing reddit and support forums.    Have not lost access to any of accounts or anything but am sure if I did not have 2FA enabled where I can, it would be different story.

Intend changing email and passwords for all the internet services I use, just for peace of mind.

Have been using google assistant hands free features, which I think has caused snoopers to be able to snoop far too easily.

Nothing "terrible" has happened yet, but am sure if I don't get on top of the things that I can or should  do, something bad will happen so am really trying to prevent that from happening.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@CloudGamer wrote:

@gg30340wrote:

One day when I answered the phone I listened to synthesised voice which claimed to be from BT say, " we are disconnecting your internet connection.  Please press 1 to disconnect now or press 2 to disconnect later".    I just hung up and later that day my BT Smart Hub disconnected from internet.    

I think you may be over reacting. There are thousands of these scam calls made everyday and they have no way of getting onto your computer or disconnecting you from the Internet unless you have given them access to your computer. If all you did was hang up without doing anything else you will be OK and it is just a coincidence that your Smarthub disconnected.

I did a factory reset to help reduce the chances of anything being put on the Hub itself, I have also enabled BT landline features which can help me blacklist numbers and identify caller   I also leave all calls to go to answering machine and simply do not pick up until I recognise voice, as caller ID on my phone only show after caller has hung up as "new call"

That is the correct thing to do.

I have reason to believe my personal privacy is being totally disrespected, and is related to the new IP system and me not using VPN at all, I think but have literally not been using the internet at all last few days.

I don't know what you mean by the "new IP system". You get a new dynamic IP address every time your Smarthub disconnects or when you reset it. You do not need to use a VPN to be secure. Just make sure you antivirus is up to date and run scheduled scans. 

Am asking advice but really think how I have been using the internet is really the problem, which is mostly for cloud gaming services and accessing reddit and support forums.    Have not lost access to any of accounts or anything but am sure if I did not have 2FA enabled where I can, it would be different story.

Why would it be a different story if you did not have two factor enabled. Have you been getting notifications that somebody is accessing your account and it is being stopped by the two factor authorisation?

Intend changing email and passwords for all the internet services I use, just for peace of mind.

Nothing wrong in doing that.

Have been using google assistant hands free features, which I think has caused snoopers to be able to snoop far too easily.

What makes you say that. 

Nothing "terrible" has happened yet, but am sure if I don't get on top of the things that I can or should  do, something bad will happen so am really trying to prevent that from happening.

Just make sure that your antivirus is u to date, you do a malware scan on a regular basis, don't let anybody have access to your computer/devices, use 2FA when ever available, don't use the same password on multiple accounts , don't surf dodgy sites, don't give out personal information on forums etc and you will be fine.

CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

@gg30340wrote:

@CloudGamerwrote:

@gg30340wrote:

I think you may be over reacting. There are thousands of these scam calls made everyday and they have no way of getting onto your computer or disconnecting you from the Internet unless you have given them access to your computer. If all you did was hang up without doing anything else you will be OK and it is just a coincidence that your Smarthub disconnected.

Hopefully I am just over reacting, and am trying to prevent and not cure a problem.    These are not just "scam calls", they are attackers taking advantage of known exploits on BT Hubs.     My hub did not restart itself.  I had to factory reset it to get back online.   

I do not believe in " coincidences",  and having a video show up my YouTube recommended list which showed where to get access to these kind of exploits and described this kind of exploit as "kids playing" is good indicator to me that a black hat is letting me know I am on their radar and within their grasp.    No coincidence.    With the exception of that one video, i have never watched or subscribed to any "hacking" YouTube channels.

By "new IP system" I intended to describe all the new personalised advertising and other changes in last year or two to how the web works.

I am seriously considering getting rid of my devices and home internet connection, as i see this to be only form of protection.

"a lot of littles make a muckle" and I have many little reason to believe cyber criminals are interfering with my devices and internet connection, but due to applications and operating systems constantly updating and changing makes it harder to know what is expected and unexpepected behaviour, or if it is bugs or hackers 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Just you do whatever you feel you need to do to give you peace of mind.